Creeping while in "Park"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Creeping while in "Park"

Not always, but sometimes when I put my '63 Avanti (63R 2658) with Twin Traction into park and turn off the engine, the car will roll backwards while I hear a clicking sound coming from the transmission. I immediately apply the brake, start it up, pull forward, and then make what I would call a much more forceful shift into park, turn it off, and release the brake. That seems to take care of it and as I said, it doesn't happen all of the time. Any ideas?
    -thanks in advance

The Shift Linkage is out of adjustment, TOO Far into Low and not far enough into Park.

This can cause the "Ford Crash" Scenario, where a Power Shift with a idling Engine, will go into REVERSE and hit whatever it can!

In cold weather with the Choke and Fast Idle ON, a SDC Member had a Friend's Avanti back into a line of his THREE Studebakers in his Garage, with considerable damage to all 4!
    Last edited by StudeRich; 05-05-2020, 04:02 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

before you mechanically adjust the linkage be sure the motor mounts are in good shape, the spacer under the left bellhousing mount is in place, the rubber bushings in the linkage is tight and there isn't any extra movement in the shifter and linkage. These all combine to make the movement it the shift mechanism work correctly.

Comment

New motor mounts and everything has been replaced from bow to stern. Can't think of anything that hasn't been replaced or improved since 2017 so this one has me puzzled.

Comment

I think we need to remember that the ONLY thing it can be, is the linkage adjustment.

Remember that the linkage only goes from the floor shifter on the Transmission to the Transmission Shift Lever, so there is not ANY actual connection from anything stationary to something that moves. That only happens on a Column shift, so Engine mounts will not effect it at all.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Actually the Avanti power shift shifter IS mounted stationary to the transmission console. It is NOT mounted to the transmission like a 4 speed shifter.
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
            X