locked in park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: locked in park

1955 speedster is locking up in park can get out by constant moving the lever but is getting harder to work./ideas?

Is it possible the parking brake is allowing the car to creep, locking the parking pawl in place?

Comment

If it is on any kind of slope, it will have to be pushed up hill a an inch or so while pulling the Shifter to Neutral.

The Parking Pawl probably needs to be replaced, a common issue with Detroit Gear Transmissions.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

As eluded to, it is better to let the parking brake do the holding with the DG250 park serving as back up.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The first line on the page of notes I received with my 55 Pres State sedan said " Never put it in Park on a hill".. So what did I do? About a week later I put it Park while on a hill. I always set the E-brake first, but no matter, it was stuck hard. Finally broke loose after an extended fight. Never did it again and a while later while changing the filter on the transmission, found a 1/8" X 1/2" wide piece of what looked like the tip of a a gear cog. Fortunately it didn't bump into anything while falling into the pan...

The second line in the notes stated " Never rev the engine over 1500 while in Neutral...." I never went there and never had any issues
          64 GT Hawk (K7)
          1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Working...
          X