electronic Jump starters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: electronic Jump starters

I am wanting to buy an electronic jump starter--- anyone recommend a brand name ?
    thank U

Mac tools sells a good one.

Comment

Do you REALLY need one THAT often, that a Battery and Jumper Cables or another Car would not do?

I have always had Multiple vehicles and Batteries around, and in over 50 years messing with them, have never had the need for more than just that.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

My boy bought the very small lithium style jump pack from Matco, to carry in his boat. One trip out the alternator failed, and when he shut it off to load the skier, he needed it to get started and back to shore. It was worth the price for that event, and is small enough to carry easily.

Comment

I recently used a HALO brand unit. It is small - it would fit in a shoebox. If your battery is weak it will provide the boost to needed to crank. When you connect the cables, the unit does a quick diagnostic to check that it's safe to drive the load, then enables its power output. It might not be enough to start a car with an absolutely dead battery.

Carl

Comment

A little jump box like this may be viable for older cars. In many cases the older cars are easier to start under a weak battery + jump box situation, because the starter will still crank at a reduced voltage (more slowly). Old cars have electrical systems that draw much less current than newer cars, and there is no ECU between the ignition switch and the solenoid that might forbid low voltage cranking. On the other hand, older starters might draw more current.

Comment

I bought one at Costco, $50. Don't know the brand but it's great! I used it the other day on my VW "Herbie" it had been a couple months and I forgot top put the tender on last time, the battery is VERY old about 12 years. It fired right up. Had it in the Stude when the regulator died, and it got me home, and I use it every time I start my lawn tractor now, it needs a battery to start, but runs on a mag. I take it with me regardless which car I drive. I bought one for my wife to keep in her car, but she uses it to charge her phone, at some point she'll be sorry; and one for my daughter to keep in her car, which she actually does.

Comment

I've used mine twice to jump strangers off; both times in hard to get to places (ie: in a drivethrough line!)
                Gotten to where I move it car to car depending on destination.
                Beware: some have crummy clamps; look for plenty of metal in the hinge.

Comment

NOCO GB-40.........AMAZING!!..........built like a tank.............cables can stand up to KING KONG!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X