Commander turns over but too slowly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Commander turns over but too slowly

I have a 1953 Studebaker Commander with a 232 engine that I'm bringing back to life after many years of slumber. I don't have a lot of experience and it would be a stretch to even call me a backyard mechanic, but I have managed to get the car to the point of turning over. The car has a band new batter battery that is fully charged. However, the car is turning over too slowly to actually start. Meaning that when you turn the key and press the start lever the engine turns over, but is cranking too slowly? Any thoughts on the possible problems? I'm really looking for direction on the next step. I've including a photo of the batter connection to what I think is the solenoid. The car is 6 a volt system and positive ground.
    Attached Files

The Negative Cable looks Heavy enough, but is the Positive one at LEAST that large? Cleaning that connection with a wire brush at the Solenoid might help a little.
    GROUNDS are Very important on Positive 6 Volt Cars, It would help to have a Second Heavy Cable from a Starter Bolt to your Battery Ground point which SHOULD be on a Water Manifold Bolt.

I can't see all of that Cable Clamp at the Battery, but it appears to have NO Bolt and Nut to keep it tight.
    I have never seen that type, and have no idea what keeps it tight but it needs to be!

When Old, Crusty Starters get worn and weak this also could be a cause.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 05-04-2020, 04:47 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Both of the battery cables heavy. They are both1 gauge I think.

Comment

Jim, please PM me for email and/or phone info. I'm in the San Fernando Valley (Chatsworth). I'd be happy to look at your car and see if I can help.
        Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
        '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
        '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
        '62 GT Hawk (4 speed, A/C, Power steering - running and DRIVING!)

Comment

I had similar problem had to change out the starter,problem solved spins just fine now. Good luck

Comment

Check that ALL of your cables are heavy enough (you can't tell by looking at the diameter of the insulation). Clean all of the connections (the ones on the solenoid look terrible). By sure that the battery has enough capacity (the base Group 1 batteries sold for VWs don't). Clean the starter commutator and check the bearing/bushing. If all else fails, convert the starter to four field coils.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

If they have sat unused, the cables might look good, but be green and corroded inside the insulation. Have seen this a few times.

Comment

All good information, but a little clarification:
                the base Group 1 batteries sold for VWs don't
                VW's use group 19L, a smaller case to sit under the rear seat, with a cover for the positive post.

Group 1 is the correct physical size, but they can be had in different amp-hour ratings. Maybe not from the same suppler, anymore....

GROUNDS are Very important on Positive 6 Volt Cars
                Just XXXX out the word Positive, as this applies to ALL 6 volt vehicles. i.e. GROUNDS are Very Important on 6 volt Cars.

1 AWG is good, and 1/0 AWG is better! I've made some out of scrap 2/0, now those are GREAT. Local Deka distributor had the crimp terminals in stock to make them.
                Frank DuVal

50 Commander 4 door

Comment

A quick check is to use a jumper cable and connect the positive of the battery direct to the starter bolts. My ground cable goes directly to the starter.

Comment

If you haven't had a 6 volt car before, they don't crank with the speed and authority of a 12 volt.
                    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                    50 Champion 2 door*
                    53 Commander K Auto*
                    53 Commander K overdrive*
                    55 President Speedster
                    62 GT 4Speed*
                    63 Avanti R1*
                    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

A couple of members of the Los Angeles chapter (one was me) 'visited' the '53 Commander (and its owner) yesterday. It does crank fine for a 6 volt system. We determined that there is no spark. We are in the process of determining why there is no spark. So far, points are OK, coil is OK. Breaking news at 11!!
                      Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
                      '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
                      '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
                      '62 GT Hawk (4 speed, A/C, Power steering - running and DRIVING!)

Comment

Working...
                      X