Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fh4ever
    replied
    most competent radiator shops can clean them. I think I paid about $75 for my stude tank and that included adding a drain hole boss for a plug.
    on small engine gas tanks, I have put sand, gravel, and a little water in them, then strap them to a cement mixer for agitation. I have heard of strapping car tanks to a tractor wheel for agitation....there should be plenty of videos on this.

Leave a comment:

• brngarage
    replied
    I successfully cleaned out the pickup tube by chucking an old piece of speedometer cable in an electric drill and using it as a 'Roto-Rooter'. Worked great.
    Thanks for the suggestion of varnish remover and a chain. I'll give it a try.

Leave a comment:

• doofus
    replied
    Varnish Remover works well for tank cleaning, along with a length of chain and a helper to slosh it all round. a length of choke cable casing makes a great pickup tube cleaner. BTDT! Luck Doofus

Leave a comment:

• jetboat
    replied
    I used a floor jack with a piece of plywood to support the tank, after that I removed the sending unit and put some fresh gas and a handful of 1 inch nuts in the tank and just shook it up for 20 minutes, then dumped it out and did it again, came out pretty good. Don't forget the pick-up tube make sure it is clear before you reinstall the tank.

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    Originally posted by brngarage View Post
    Not to hijack this post, but I have a tank off of one of my cars and i thought I'd try cleaning it myself. anyone have a good idea of what 'solvent' I should use? Thanks.
    Rust, or sludge?

Leave a comment:

• J_Cole
    replied
    I took my fuel tank to a company in Landover, MD called Smitty's Radiator Shop. I was very impressed with their work and some of the other items they had finished for other customers. I'm about to take my radiator to them in the next month or so. I think it was $400 or so? About the same price as SI charges but without the shipping costs and whatnot.

Leave a comment:

• brngarage
    replied
    Remove the hose clamps and support bolt (in the filler opening in the fender) and remove the filler pipe first. Then there are 2 bolts on one side and a bolt with a spring on the other side of the tank. Not too difficult to access those. Make sure you remove the cover in the trunk and disconnect the wire from the fuel gauge sender BEFORE you remove the three bolts (and make sure the tank is empty or close to it; it's really heavy and dangerous with a lot of gas in it).
    Not to hijack this post, but I have a tank off of one of my cars and i thought I'd try cleaning it myself. anyone have a good idea of what 'solvent' I should use? Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• boatnuttom
    started a topic Fuel System: gas tank cleaning

gas tank cleaning

how to remove and clean gas tank on 60 hawk
Working...
X