Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help verifying year, displacement, and possible associated model for 6-cyl engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Help verifying year, displacement, and possible associated model for 6-cyl engine

A gentleman from Everett WA contacted me yesterday requesting assistance identifying the 6-cylinder engine in a 1947 Willys CJ2A he recently purchased. The previous owner told him it is a Studebaker engine, but didn't know much about it. The previous owner before that said the same, but also didn't know much about it.

I saw this thread that was started a few weeks ago by another Willys owner in a similar position. https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....mystery-engine

See the attached photographs. The serial number stamped on the pad on the left front of the block is J87202. The casting number on the lower left side of the block is 533870-5 with a date code L 5 23. The casting number on the head is 1544289 with a date code L 11 13.

Based on the research I've done here on the forum, the Resources page, and internet, I believe this is a replacement 1957 Studebaker 6-cylinder engine that was then stamped with the original serial number from the Willys L134 engine it replaced so that it matched what might have been on a title. I did some searching on the internet and found that J87202 would be a correct Willys L134 engine serial number for a late 1946 or 1947 CJ2A.

I believe the block's date code indicates it was cast on May 23 1957, and the date code on the cylinder head indicates it was cast on November 13, 1957. Since the date codes of the block and head are six months apart, I believe it was intended to be a 1957 engine and the head was replaced at some point with one that was cast for a 1958 engine. I guess it's possible it was originally a 1957 short-block and the rest of the necessary parts to complete the engine were added later from what was available at the time of installation.

Questions:

Would the block casting number 533870-5 have been used in a car or a truck?
    Is this a 170, 185, or 245 CID engine? I think it's a 170 based on what was discussed here: https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....-and-trans-i-d

With the 1544289 cylinder head, what might be the compression ratio?

The gentleman wants to know these things so he can obtain the correct parts for the engine should he need them. I'll point him to the correct shop and chassis manuals at the Museum store once we have the correct information.

Thank you for your assistance.

Mark L
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mark L; 05-03-2020, 09:39 PM.
    Mark L

You've identified the engine, and it is a 185. It may have been sold as a short block originally. Some of those had a data plate attached to the block below the serial number pad. The compression ratio originally for that head was 7.5 to 1.
    It would be used in cars and trucks, and even in earlier models with some additional parts to make it fit.
    "Burning Bridges...Lost Forevermore"......

Comment

It would be used in cars and trucks, and even in earlier models with some additional parts to make it fit.
      "Burning Bridges...Lost Forevermore"......

Comment

I bet that Jeep runs really well with a 185 Studebaker mill. This was a common Jeep swap back in the day.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
        10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
        56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
        60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
          I bet that Jeep runs really well with a 185 Studebaker mill. This was a common Jeep swap back in the day.
          Around here, back in the day, Jeeps were modified with Studebaker V8s.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
          X