Passenger door locks with key, but won't unlock with key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Passenger door locks with key, but won't unlock with key

The passenger door on my 64 GT will lock from the outside with the key, but won't unlock unless you give a slight tug on the button inside. I have NOS locks and latches. This makes no sense. (As does every Studebaker issue!)

Originally posted by jostanton1 View Post
    The passenger door on my 64 GT will lock from the outside with the key, but won't unlock unless you give a slight tug on the button inside. I have NOS locks and latches. This makes no sense. (As does every Studebaker issue!)
    My '62 will lock easily with the key, but it is often nessesary to "jiggle" the key while unlocking in order for the key to turn and unlock. No different than my '69 VW (wihch is way worse) my '99 Honda or '01 Toyota.

Comment

I bought a NOS trunk latch for my car that came with a key in it. I was playing with the lock and locked it. Then I could not unlock it again. I took the whole thing to a locksmith who was able to get it apart. He found that the key was wrong and it was probably a couple of stuck pins in the lock that let me turn it the first time. He re-keyed the lock to my ignition key and as it happens I don't think I have ever locked the thing. Anyway you might check unless you are positive you have the right key.

Nathan

Comment

It is brand new set of matching ignition and door locks I purchased from one of our vendors. The key will turn and pop up the lock button only if you slightly give the button a little pull to start it. If just turning the key alone, no way.

Comment

Since if you help the unlock system to work by helping it by lifting the unlock button. Sounds to me that the unlock mechanism is binding someplace. I would remove the inside door panel and see what happens to the lineage while you try to unlock the door.
          Ron

Comment

the old NOS parts were most likely gummed up with old grease. Before install, it probably needed a good thorough cleaning in solvent, then l think the recommendation was / is graphite powder in the key way and a good penetrating grease in the mechanism(s)...... Don't break the key !!

Comment

The lock shaft is square and as such can be inserted into the latch mechanism any of four ways. Only one way will allow the key to lock and unlock, as well as the inside door handle to lock and unlock. The shaft might be inserted in the latch mechanism 90 degrees off.
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
              10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
              56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
              60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Working...
              X