Clear All

• RadioRoy
    replied
    Whew!! That's better.

Leave a comment:

• cwsimpson
    replied
    Thx Roy-
    certainly NOT changing my mind. Thx for all your help. I just included the chart for others who may have similar issues- and might not be so good on electrical issues as some of you guys are. All the help is greatly appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• RadioRoy
    replied
    You have essentially already followed the chart and found the generator to be bad. Are you changing your mind?

Leave a comment:

• cwsimpson
    replied
    Not trying to upset anyone here...
    Here it is from the computer. Sorry- not able to upload this from my computer because I was unable to import it.
    We'll just have to work with what we have here. Thx for the suggestions.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    I have NO idea how you would do that on a PHONE!

I don't think they have a Hard drive, memory and Word, Excel, PDF Files and JPEG Picture Memory files to save to and File Downloads.

Once that is done on a COMPUTER, beyond the Screen Size is practically unlimited.

Leave a comment:

• cwsimpson
    replied
    Thx Rich-
    Could you explain how? Not trying to be dork here. I’m just given various sizes. When I look at it on the iPad, easy to enlarge it with the a click and spreading fingers. I’ll try again with a different size. Not sure what kind of a toggle there is for that. Oh- I don’t think the 1/2 speed is necessarily applicable. Maybe just have a helper give it a little gas? Thx for the help.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	CDF0588C-AE13-4A4E-822B-FCD768C68870.gif
Views:	235
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	1834933

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    You WILL be able to read this tiny Copy, if you download it so you can enlarge it. Otherwise, it's useless.
    I see you can enlarge it twice here, but it's still unreadable.

Leave a comment:

• cwsimpson
    replied
    Came across this handy dandy flowchart haven’t really used one of these since I took org. Chem.
    Got it off the internet looking at tractors.
    Carry on

Leave a comment:

• kxet
    replied
    Had a Dodge that did that, turned out engine was not grounded well to body/frame. Ran a ground wire from battery to firewall. Evidently the linkages and exhaust are not conducting. The regulator was sensing low voltage and telling generator put out more juice.

Leave a comment:

• cwsimpson
    replied
    Doofus-
    Would you please pm me and describe in a little more detail- or feel
    free to enter it here. Thx a bunch for the comments all of you.

Leave a comment:

• Ron Strasser
    replied
    cwsimpson
    If you have have a Delco type generator with the field powered internally by the generator and the field voltage is controlled by grounding the field terminal via the regulator then. With a ohm meter and all the wires disconnected from the generator; if the meter show continuity between the field terminal and the generator's case; the field is shorted inside the generator. Now the question is where. It could be the field windings shorting to the pole shoes.
    Ron

Leave a comment:

• doofus
    replied
    A similar problem decades ago, found the crud inside was causing the problem. looked fine but was shorting everything. i think fine copper dust was culprit. put case through washer and all was well. Luck Doofus

Leave a comment:

• cwsimpson
    replied
    The short is indeed coming from inside the generator. Everything seems to be connected-that can’t be right. So far, I haven’t found a short but I am continuing to look into it and seal up wires going into/out of the field. It can’t be common to have continuity all the way through the unit, is it? I didn’t really see any obvious shorts. But I did notice the gasket on the end of the armature shaft is toast. Not sure if that would cause it or not. I wonder where the typical spots for shorts are. I know one spot is the through rods, but I already tried taping mine up- no effect. Examination of the insulation didn’t indicate problems-

Leave a comment:

• cwsimpson
    replied
    Thx guys.
    Good ideas.
    I did disconnect the wire at the regulator and was careful with it. I will try disconnecting at the generator to be sure. I did take the generator off and apart a couple of times. So far, I haven’t been able to find anything that looks funky. The field wire on the inside of the external connector looks,a little frayed, but seems to solidly connected. Plenty of time to do more meter work in there. I’ll check around to see if I can find an inductive ammeter if the other ideas don’t workout. Thx again.

Leave a comment:

• RadioRoy
    replied
    Let me state this more succinctly. Sometimes I run on and on.

The problem is either in the generator, or in the field wire going from the generator to the voltage regulator.

Disconnect the field wire at the generator. If it does not charge, the problem is in the wire. If it does charge, the problem is in the generator.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X