Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Chronic overcharging with generator

1955 president sedan 259 V 8
    Can’t seem to get the charging needle on my ammeter to come down. Initially thought it was a voltage regulator -replace the voltage regulator. Prior to this the battery was bubbling out. Bought a new battery. This worked well for about two hours. So I just thought I was stuck with a bad voltage regulator got another one put it in well guess what? Same problem. Studied some other posts, one of which went into very good detail on how to set the voltage regulator points. I did all that and the problem persisted. So I decided to look at the generator. I didn’t really see anything in there that was causing a problem but I took out the bolts and wrap tape around the bolts where they came close to the to the field wires that are in the generator, eventhough the field wires looked ok , just to see if it made a difference. Tried unhooking the field wire from the regulator and restarted the car, as was done in another post. I found that the charging meter did not go down. This also happened in a previous post and was rectified by replacing the generator shell. So I wonder if that will solve my problem. Wish I could find a better way to check out the generator. I can always take it somewhere I guess. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I also checked the motor grounding cable connections. When everything first starts up, seems okay for a minute or two and then everything goes wild in the charging department. Just like having an electric motor for the generator. At idle , my vom reads about 6.5 At faster throttle7.5- 8, not sure how many amps, in the shop. Not sure how high it goes at 60 mph, but the meter pegs out. Suppose a new generator is in order, unless the ammeter is bad and/ or I’m overreacting. Thanks for any input.

What are the chances that your Delco Generator is a 12 Volt?

Funny thing, not 15 Minutes ago I was checking out a Boxed, New replacement Regulator for Autolite and reading the Instructions that came with it.

It says that TEMP. has a LOT to do with the performance of Reg's. they charge MORE in Winter, Less in Summer and MUST be "warmed up" before taking Voltage readings, and the Cover MUST be on. Adjustments are VERY critical and must be done at 70 Degrees.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

You have already checked out the generator. The field post is shorted to the case somewhere. The problem is in the generator. Time to take it apart?

Or, if you only disconnected the wire at the regulator, that wire could be shorted to the car body somewhere. If you disconnect the field AT THE GENERATOR and it still charges, then the field is shorted to the case.

I would not fiddle with the regulator, since the car charges with the field wire disconnected.

The ammeter in the car is OK if it goes to zero/center with the ignition off.

Have you checked the generator output with an inductive ammeter? You just lay it on the wire and it reads what is happening. Not balls-on accurate, but good for troubleshooting.

BTW, thanks for spelling out the whole story so completely. Some folks are so terse we have to drag information out of them.
      Last edited by RadioRoy; 05-03-2020, 12:12 PM.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
      10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
      56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
      60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Let me state this more succinctly. Sometimes I run on and on.

The problem is either in the generator, or in the field wire going from the generator to the voltage regulator.

Disconnect the field wire at the generator. If it does not charge, the problem is in the wire. If it does charge, the problem is in the generator.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
        10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
        56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
        60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Thx guys.
          Good ideas.
          I did disconnect the wire at the regulator and was careful with it. I will try disconnecting at the generator to be sure. I did take the generator off and apart a couple of times. So far, I haven’t been able to find anything that looks funky. The field wire on the inside of the external connector looks,a little frayed, but seems to solidly connected. Plenty of time to do more meter work in there. I’ll check around to see if I can find an inductive ammeter if the other ideas don’t workout. Thx again.

Comment

The short is indeed coming from inside the generator. Everything seems to be connected-that can’t be right. So far, I haven’t found a short but I am continuing to look into it and seal up wires going into/out of the field. It can’t be common to have continuity all the way through the unit, is it? I didn’t really see any obvious shorts. But I did notice the gasket on the end of the armature shaft is toast. Not sure if that would cause it or not. I wonder where the typical spots for shorts are. I know one spot is the through rods, but I already tried taping mine up- no effect. Examination of the insulation didn’t indicate problems-

Comment

A similar problem decades ago, found the crud inside was causing the problem. looked fine but was shorting everything. i think fine copper dust was culprit. put case through washer and all was well. Luck Doofus

Comment

cwsimpson
                If you have have a Delco type generator with the field powered internally by the generator and the field voltage is controlled by grounding the field terminal via the regulator then. With a ohm meter and all the wires disconnected from the generator; if the meter show continuity between the field terminal and the generator's case; the field is shorted inside the generator. Now the question is where. It could be the field windings shorting to the pole shoes.
                Ron

Comment

Doofus-
                  Would you please pm me and describe in a little more detail- or feel
                  free to enter it here. Thx a bunch for the comments all of you.

Comment

Had a Dodge that did that, turned out engine was not grounded well to body/frame. Ran a ground wire from battery to firewall. Evidently the linkages and exhaust are not conducting. The regulator was sensing low voltage and telling generator put out more juice.

Comment

Came across this handy dandy flowchart haven’t really used one of these since I took org. Chem.
                      Got it off the internet looking at tractors.
                      Carry on

Comment

You WILL be able to read this tiny Copy, if you download it so you can enlarge it. Otherwise, it's useless.
                        I see you can enlarge it twice here, but it's still unreadable.
                        StudeRich

Comment

Thx Rich-
                          Could you explain how? Not trying to be dork here. I’m just given various sizes. When I look at it on the iPad, easy to enlarge it with the a click and spreading fingers. I’ll try again with a different size. Not sure what kind of a toggle there is for that. Oh- I don’t think the 1/2 speed is necessarily applicable. Maybe just have a helper give it a little gas? Thx for the help.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	CDF0588C-AE13-4A4E-822B-FCD768C68870.gif
Views:	229
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	1834933

Comment

I have NO idea how you would do that on a PHONE!

I don't think they have a Hard drive, memory and Word, Excel, PDF Files and JPEG Picture Memory files to save to and File Downloads.

Once that is done on a COMPUTER, beyond the Screen Size is practically unlimited.
                            StudeRich

Comment

Not trying to upset anyone here...
                              Here it is from the computer. Sorry- not able to upload this from my computer because I was unable to import it.
                              We'll just have to work with what we have here. Thx for the suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                              X