Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Block pressure testing plate wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Block pressure testing plate wanted

Long shot I know, but looking for a block off plate to pressure test a Studebaker Avanti V8 engine block .The one that bolts to the block with a head gasket to seal it. To buy, rent [ with deposit ] or a source to have one made. Also looking for head gasket, in case I can have one made locally if this search is not successful. my email is trisgar01@surry.net TIA, Bob C

Wouldn't it be easier to just Magnaflux the Block for cracks?

All you can test that way is the Cooling System, so unless you suspect Cracks it should not be a problem.
    Never heard of anyone doing that to a Stude.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 05-03-2020, 12:08 PM. Reason: Corrected Spelling of Magnaflux
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

We don't usually do a pressure test as cracks in the block are usually visible to the trained eye and verified by magnaflux. My machinist partner has been doing this for thirty years and can spot them at a glance. If we did want to pressure test, we'd probably just bolt on a cylinder head.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by Bob C View Post
        Long shot I know, but looking for a block off plate to pressure test a Studebaker Avanti V8 engine block .The one that bolts to the block with a head gasket to seal it. To buy, rent [ with deposit ] or a source to have one made. Also looking for head gasket, in case I can have one made locally if this search is not successful. my email is trisgar01@surry.net TIA, Bob C
        Hey, Bob...welcome to the forum. Unless I'm misunderstanding, you joined back in 2017 and this is your first post. I had to google Dobson, N.C. Looks like you live in the kind of hills that requires any engine delivers good performance. So, you have tweaked my curiosity about what you might be working on? Like others have mentioned, I can't help with your question, but kinda understand what you are asking for. What has happened or what have you found that causes you to look for this kind of block off plate?
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I am looking at rebuilding a R2 engine and have a block with some weld repair in the valley area near a lifter bore, but not in it. Before I progress further, that possible coolant leak into the oil system needs to be checked and repaired if needed. I have a pressure test plate being made by a custom machine shop who is a racer friend of mine. I am looking for a complete 289 engine or long block for additional parts needed. Like a crank, rods , water pump, flywheel and clutch , etc.. Any leads appreciated. The vehicle is located in Lakeland Fla, [ not NC ] so the closer to there the better. I have had many Studebaker vehicles in the past staring with a 1951 sedan with a V8. Then a 53 post coupe with supercharged 289 and 3 speed with OD , a 1954 Starliner Coupe with 289 and a 4 speed, a 1960 Black / with Red interior 2 door Lark with a transplanted GT Hawk 225 HP 289 and 4 speed, a real sleeper. I ordered a Avanti II with 327 / 325 HP and 4 speed posi from Nate in 1966 and it was delivered as a 1967 [ RQA0183. ] Regrettably I sold it in 2002 to finance a move from AZ to NC and would LOVE to find it again. I was last located in Western Mass [ Lenox ] , is silver and has real Dayton Wire knock off wheels. Any leads appreciated with that quest also appreciated. It is not active in any Avanti registries. A couple years ago I picked up a 1963 Avanti R1 automatic for a in between car, since I could not locate my Avanti II. To asswage my need for a 4 speed Avanti , I bid on and am bringing back to life, a 1963 R2 Avanti. Thus the need for a engine to build from. Long story. But you can see I am not new to Studebakers. Thanks for the question. Love to hang out some day.

Comment

No need to have a custom plate made. Every engine shop with a pressure test tank has a SBC plate which on most systems will work for the Studebaker V8; the bore centers are almost the same.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

We tried a SBC plate, head bolt holes don't line up. So I am making a custom one. Will be available for loan if anyone needs to test a block or heads.

Comment

We tried a SBC plate, head bolt holes don't line up. So I am making a custom one. Will be available for loan if anyone needs to test a block or heads.
                Interesting, the two pressure test systems we have do not have any head bolt holes in the plates. They use a frame to pinch the plate to the block or head. We use the SBC plate on Studebaker heads all the time.

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

I am looking at rebuilding a R2 engine and have a block with some weld repair in the valley area near a lifter bore, but not in it. Before I progress further, that possible coolant leak into the oil system needs to be checked and repaired if needed. I have a pressure test plate being made by a custom machine shop who is a racer friend of mine. I am looking for a complete 289 engine or long block for additional parts needed. Like a crank, rods , water pump, flywheel and clutch , etc.. Any leads appreciated. The vehicle is located in Lakeland Fla, [ not NC ] so the closer to there the better. I have had many Studebaker vehicles in the past staring with a 1951 sedan with a V8. Then a 53 post coupe with supercharged 289 and 3 speed with OD , a 1954 Starliner Coupe with 289 and a 4 speed, a 1960 Black / with Red interior 2 door Lark with a transplanted GT Hawk 225 HP 289 and 4 speed, a real sleeper. I ordered a Avanti II with 327 / 325 HP and 4 speed posi from Nate in 1966 and it was delivered as a 1967 [ RQA0183. ] Regrettably I sold it in 2002 to finance a move from AZ to NC and would LOVE to find it again. I was last located in Western Mass [ Lenox ] , is silver and has real Dayton Wire knock off wheels. Any leads appreciated with that quest also appreciated. It is not active in any Avanti registries. A couple years ago I picked up a 1963 Avanti R1 automatic for a in between car, since I could not locate my Avanti II. To asswage my need for a 4 speed Avanti , I bid on and am bringing back to life, a 1963 R2 Avanti. Thus the need for a engine to build from. Long story. But you can see I am not new to Studebakers. Thanks for the question. Love to hang out some day.
                  I have several engines and blocks including one from an R1 less than an hour from Lakeland.
                  78 Avanti RQB 2792
                  64 Avanti R1 R5408
                  63 Avanti R1 R4551
                  63 Avanti R1 R2281
                  62 GT Hawk V15949
                  56 GH 6032504
                  56 GH 6032588
                  55 Speedster 7160047
                  55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

So the Engine "Accessories" that you do not have and need, are going in an Avanti R2, that makes it quite a bit harder than an average Lark/Hawk 289 to find.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                    X