X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PackardV8
    replied
    Originally posted by bensherb View Post

As I understand it, the 700r4 / 4L60 have the same ratios , at least first and third as the TH350. Either way, when replacing the TH350 in our '53 with a 700r4 there was NO noticable difference beyond the OD 4th gear. So use the 4L60 and save 2500 bucks.
    Only true for third gear being direct in all of them. The other three ratios are noticeably different in my experience, first gear feeling much shorter in the TH700R4 than the TH350:
    TH350 2.52 1.52 1.00 N/A
    TH400 2.48 1.48 1.00 N/A
    TH700R4/4L60E/4L65E
    3.06 1.63 1.00 0.70
    200-4R 2.78 1.57 1.00 0.67
    jack vines

Leave a comment:

• sweetolbob
    replied
    Just for the record, here is an internet listing of the gear ratios of a ton of transmissions. Personally, I'd pick the 200 or 700 and change the rear end to my liking. Either one can be built to handle about any amount of street HP and rear gears are cheap.

Remember the 700 was designed when there were low HP engines moving heavy cars/trucks with very low number (high geared) rearends to try to squeeze the most sticker fuel economy out of the vehicles.

https://www.tciauto.com/gear-ratios

Bob

Leave a comment:

• bensherb
    replied
    Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
    Seeing as I prefer the ratios in the TH350 or TH400 I would install and use a Gear Vendors overdrive unit. Nice install Rick.
    Cheers, Bill
    As I understand it, the 700r4 / 4L60 have the same ratios , at least first and third as the TH350. Either way, when replacing the TH350 in our '53 with a 700r4 there was NO noticable difference beyond the OD 4th gear. So use the 4L60 and save 2500 bucks.

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
    Seeing as I prefer the ratios in the TH350 or TH400 I would install and use a Gear Vendors overdrive unit. Cheers, Bill
    Hi, Bill,

When you're ready, I've got a TH400 with GearVendors overdrive on the shelf. I've been thinking abut putting it behind a Packard V8, but that hasn't happened yet.

jack vines

Leave a comment:

• Buzzard
    replied
    Seeing as I prefer the ratios in the TH350 or TH400 I would install and use a Gear Vendors overdrive unit. Nice install Rick.
    Cheers, Bill

Leave a comment:

• bensherb
    replied
    Thanks Bob.

Leave a comment:

• sweetolbob
    replied
    Very nice, that's first class work. Really like the rear mount execution. Bob

Leave a comment:

• bensherb
    replied
    My GT had a 3speed OD when I got it. It was fine with a 3.54/1 rear axle and I liked it , but the clutch was killing my bad knees. I was planning to change the clutch to hydraulic, but before I got to it the three speed ate itself. It disolved the countershaft bearings and shaft and lost a couple gear teeth.

Since I already had two more of these transmissions in the same condition, I decieded it would be easier to install a GM, AOD trans.

I made my own adapter plate similar to what is sold, but mine incorporates engine mounts that are lost when removing the stock bellhousing. I also made a crossmember to replace the stock belhousing mounting member.

I used a 4L60 which needs no electronics, that is what the "E" in 4L60 E is for. I bought the trans from a rebuilder for $700, and a torque coverter for $100, both with free shipping. I did have a drive shaft made, a one piece, for $200, and used a Ford small block starter $40. For the shifter I just used one of the stock 3 speed shifter links and arm on the steering column. I used an after market TV cable which is super adjustable, $16 on ebay. All in all, the most difficult part of the whole swap was bending oil cooler lines to go to the front of the car.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0862.JPG
Views:	339
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	1835949
    Oh! I did have to make my own lower belhousing cover. The stock GM ones don't work with the starter mounted on the left.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1088.JPG
Views:	322
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	1835950

Leave a comment:

• JoeHall
    replied
    Originally posted by jostanton1 View Post
    My 64 Hawk with a 289 and powershift is a slug off the line with that 2nd gear start. Even if I manually shift it 1,2 drive it is not much better. It has a 3:31 rear end. Is there anything I could change to give this car more pep off the line?
    If you keep the OEM transmission, rear end ratio is a trade off. More take off power, i.e. with a 3.54 or 3.73, means higher RPM at road speeds. Less take off power means a more relaxed motor at road speeds. To me, a 3.07 is best all around, but that's because I am not as much into romp and stomp as cruising at this point in life. To have both low end power and relaxed cruising RPM, you need overdrive. I have OD in all three Hawks, 3 speed/OD in two, and 700R in the other car. But before I'd convert to 700R again, I'd just live with a 3.07. If it's all about speed, just about any kid in an Asian brand X car can run off and hide from most Studebakers anyway. Relax and cruise!

Leave a comment:

• jostanton1
    replied
    My 64 Hawk with a 289 and powershift is a slug off the line with that 2nd gear start. Even if I manually shift it 1,2 drive it is not much better. It has a 3:31 rear end. Is there anything I could change to give this car more pep off the line?

Leave a comment:

• Hallabutt
    replied
    Guilty as charged Rich! But every once in a while I still get the urge, just not as often.
    Bill

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    That is absolutely Right Jack, a little Performance is just SO much fun, it's hard to give it up, I agree.

On the "Other hand", if I remember correctly, both Joe and Bill have confessed to driving like little O'l Ladies!

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
    Jack,

Six of one half a dozen of the other. I've always taken them the way I found them and learned to like them all. I admit though as I've aged the automatics a lifesaver especially in heavy stop and go traffic. On the highway I don't see much difference between tall 3.07 geared auto and 4.10 and OD.

Yogi,

Buy another car for the family and drive the OD car yourself.

Bill
    Hi, Bill,

Agree, with the right rear axle ratio a Stude automatic can cruise down the road at a comfortable RPM. IIRC, Joe Hall once put a 2.56 in a '56J. However, those tall-geared automatics are a dog with fleas when asked to sprint off from a stop. That's where the 4.10, 3.90, 3.73 can make the small Studebaker V8 feel strong. Back in the day, I won many races with a TwinTraction Stude with an overdrive 4.10 when the bigger engine cars were automatics or straight 3-speeds with taller gears and a peg leg.

jack vines

Leave a comment:

• Hallabutt
    replied
    Jack,

Six of one half a dozen of the other. I've always taken them the way I found them and learned to like them all. I admit though as I've aged the automatics a lifesaver especially in heavy stop and go traffic. On the highway I don't see much difference between tall 3.07 geared auto and 4.10 and OD.

Yogi,

Buy another car for the family and drive the OD car yourself.

Bill

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    Originally posted by Yogi View Post
    Sounds like Studegary has the best advice. I think I will discard that idea. I was listening to the shiftless family members. It seems that no one can shift for themselves these days.
    Yogi
    OTOH, I just passed on a very interesting and reasonably priced Stude because it was an automatic. The overdrive is the best thing Studebaker ever had going for it.

jack vines

Leave a comment:

Working...
X