No announcement yet.

automatic conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very nice, that's first class work. Really like the rear mount execution. Bob

Comment

Thanks Bob.

Comment

Seeing as I prefer the ratios in the TH350 or TH400 I would install and use a Gear Vendors overdrive unit. Nice install Rick.
        Cheers, Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
          Seeing as I prefer the ratios in the TH350 or TH400 I would install and use a Gear Vendors overdrive unit. Cheers, Bill
          Hi, Bill,

When you're ready, I've got a TH400 with GearVendors overdrive on the shelf. I've been thinking abut putting it behind a Packard V8, but that hasn't happened yet.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
            Seeing as I prefer the ratios in the TH350 or TH400 I would install and use a Gear Vendors overdrive unit. Nice install Rick.
            Cheers, Bill
            As I understand it, the 700r4 / 4L60 have the same ratios , at least first and third as the TH350. Either way, when replacing the TH350 in our '53 with a 700r4 there was NO noticable difference beyond the OD 4th gear. So use the 4L60 and save 2500 bucks.

Comment

Just for the record, here is an internet listing of the gear ratios of a ton of transmissions. Personally, I'd pick the 200 or 700 and change the rear end to my liking. Either one can be built to handle about any amount of street HP and rear gears are cheap.

Remember the 700 was designed when there were low HP engines moving heavy cars/trucks with very low number (high geared) rearends to try to squeeze the most sticker fuel economy out of the vehicles.

https://www.tciauto.com/gear-ratios

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post

As I understand it, the 700r4 / 4L60 have the same ratios , at least first and third as the TH350. Either way, when replacing the TH350 in our '53 with a 700r4 there was NO noticable difference beyond the OD 4th gear. So use the 4L60 and save 2500 bucks.
                Only true for third gear being direct in all of them. The other three ratios are noticeably different in my experience, first gear feeling much shorter in the TH700R4 than the TH350:
                TH350 2.52 1.52 1.00 N/A
                TH400 2.48 1.48 1.00 N/A
                TH700R4/4L60E/4L65E
                3.06 1.63 1.00 0.70
                200-4R 2.78 1.57 1.00 0.67
                jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                X