8E Champ front spring specs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: 8E Champ front spring specs

After learning from another thread that left and right front springs on 8E Champs are different I took a quick glance under my Champ and could see no difference. However, shop manual states that left and right are NOT interchangeable. Specs shows no difference EXCEPT for something called "Opening Rated Load". R.H. 1/8", L.H. 5/8".
    So my main question is what does "Opening Rated Load" mean?

Operating Load. The drivers side should have a leaf or 2 that are a little thicker than the right. You have a gas tank, a battery and a 200lb. driver on that side. They don't want to have a leaning truck while putting down the road.

Comment

Checked parts book again and found different PNs for #1 leaf although they look the same to me. I realize the theory of more weight on left side however, 4E, 5E, 6E, 7E series PUs use same front springs L & R and my 7E 1962 Champ does not lean. I also do NOT weigh 200 lbs!
      However, my main question is about specification shown in shop manual. What does "Opening Rated Load " mean and how is it measured?

Comment

Opening load would be easier to understand if it was worded 'opening AT rated load'. It's a test of the springs ability to support the maximum rated load. It is measured by making a straight line with string, ruler, whatever, from center of spring eyes, eye-to-eye. Then measure down from that line to the main leaf next to the center bolt. The distance is the opening at rated load.
        Last edited by Dwain G.; 05-02-2020, 10:50 AM. Reason: changed 'center spring' to 'center bolt'

Comment

Now that makes sense. Thanks Dwain, now I can find something else to obsess about. Before I received your answer I sent an inquiry to the source, Eaton Detroit Spring, Inc. Here is the OFFICIAL response: "Thank you for your inquiry but we have no clue what it means".
          Last edited by rbisacca; 05-02-2020, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Earlier trucks used a spacer between the spring and the axle. I put new springs on my truck last winter and boy was I disappointed when it leaned toward the driver side when I put the engine back in.......

However, after about a day the passenger side settled and all has been ok ever since. Putting all new springs and bushings in made a new truck out of the old Champ. It wasn't cheap but I highly recommend it. I got my springs from St Louis Spring company. They still have the prints for Studebaker leaf springs. The price wasn't terrible and they came with new bushings
            1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Originally posted by rbisacca View Post
              Checked parts book again and found different PNs for #1 leaf although they look the same to me. I realize the theory of more weight on left side however, 4E, 5E, 6E, 7E series PUs use same front springs L & R and my 7E 1962 Champ does not lean.
              I know on my E7s ( and probably those earlier models) there is a spacer between the leaf spring and the axle on just the driver side - think it is about 1/2 inch thick.

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post

I know on my E7s ( and probably those earlier models) there is a spacer between the leaf spring and the axle on just the driver side - think it is about 1/2 inch thick.
                Well, now I'm more confused. Just went out to garage and crawled under my Champs neither of which lean.
                '62 7E 8 cyl with same springs L & R - no spacer.
                '63 8E 6 cyl with different springs L & R - 1" spacer on drivers side.

I can't find spacer in parts book.

Comment

Looks like it might be 1690674 - says under left spring for LHC and under right for RHC. Someone will correct me if wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
                    Looks like it might be 1690674 - says under left spring for LHC and under right for RHC. Someone will correct me if wrong.
                    Found it in parts catalog (called PLATE, frt. spring). So now I'm even more confused. Book shows used on 1/2 ton PUs 7E not 8E. Yet my 8E has it my 7E does not!
                    Maybe I need something else to obsess about.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
                      Opening load would be easier to understand if it was worded 'opening AT rated load'. It's a test of the springs ability to support the maximum rated load. It is measured by making a straight line with string, ruler, whatever, from center of spring eyes, eye-to-eye. Then measure down from that line to the main leaf next to the center bolt. The distance is the opening at rated load.
                      Dwain, The SDC is very lucky to have experts like you to help us with our questions. After I received your response which I'm sure is 100% correct, I figured I'd send your answer to William, the CSR at Eaton Detroit Spring, Inc. who previously said he "had no clue". His smart-ass response was totally inappropriate for a CSR. Although I have no need to replace my springs, if I did, because of this response, I'd not patronize Eaton Detroit Spring. Here's his response:
                      The choice of words and how it is written tells me it was written by someone who is trying to impress people with their lack of knowledge.

Comment

Honestly.......I didn't know what it was for sure either. 'Free arch', sometimes called 'open arch' is measured the same way. A little Google search turned up an answer in an old SAE Journal.

Comment

my old 7E7 that has resurfaced after a while had the plate under the driver's spring....is it still there ??

Comment

Working...
                          X