X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• StudeRich
    replied
    Originally posted by Dc327 View Post
    rockne10 please pm me where I can purchase. Thanks!
    Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum Dave!

As with ALL Studebaker Parts and needs, you need to go here:

https://studebakervendors.com

Leave a comment:

• Dc327
    replied
    rockne10 please pm me where I can purchase. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    Originally posted by Dc327 View Post
    Once I figure out which carb goes on the 259.5, I'll look for a wiring schematic. Thanks again!
    It would greatly behoove you to acquire the Shop Manual for your Lark, as well as the Chassis and Body Parts Catalogs.
    All three are available in reprints, or on a single CD-ROM for less than $30.
    Everything you need at your fingertips.

Leave a comment:

• Dc327
    replied
    Got it. Thanks all! Need to do some parts hunting to get it all together. Guessing the kick down solenoid is wired direct to the governor on the tail shaft ? I have a clipped wire on the governor. I don't have the correct carburetor either. Once I figure out which carb goes on the 259.5, I'll look for a wiring schematic. Thanks again!

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    If it truly is still an Overdrive Trans. you will see a Shift LEVER on the Left Side of the Tail Housing, that is where the Cable connects.

There will be a Round Solenoid on the Left and a smaller Unit on the Right which is the Governor, there were wires connecting both and a Kickdown Switch on the Carb. Linkage with wires to the Trans. that allows a downshift, also one to the Distributor to temporarily interrupt the Ignition to remove the Load on the Overdrive while shifting UP to O.D.

It is the same Borg Warner R-10 Overdrive Unit also used by Ford and Chrysler Products and possibly the VERY few Overdrive equipped Chev's.

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    Yes; there is a cable from the transmission to the dash. Should be a T-handle marked OD at the bottom of the dash to the left of the steering column.
    Pulling the handle out locks the transmission out of overdrive, making it function as a normal straight 3-speed transmission.
    Pushing the handle in enables the availability of overdrive. A governor on the OD unit behind the transmission detects a forward speed in the 25-35 mph range; then backing off the accelerator allows the overdrive solenoid to engage overdrive, with reduces engine speed by about 30%; great for highway cruising. Depressing the accelerator to the floor drops you back in to 3rd, like a quick boost for passing or ascending hills.

If there is no cable, and the OD has been disabled at the transmission, you are simply driving a straight 3-speed.

You'll need to see the OD unit behind the transmission to verify what you've got, and what you'll need to put it back in to operation.

Let us know what you find. And we can go from there.

Leave a comment:

• Transmission: 60 Lark BW OD cable?

Hey all!

On my first Stude and absolutely love it. 60 Lark w/ the 259.5 and a BW 3 speed w/ OD. After doing some light reading on the OD trans and how it works, I'm lead to believe it should have an engagement cable somewhere at or under the dash. Is this true for this year car? Ill be under it tomorrow to see if the unit has an attachment for a cable or not. Currently the OD is disconnected, so I've yet to experience its value. Any light that can be shed on this would be helpful. Thanks... hope all are healthy ... happy motoring!
Working...
X