steering wheel painting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: steering wheel painting

Does anyone have any suggestions/experience with painting a steering wheel? Mine had a lot of cracks which I "vee'd out" filled with epoxy, sanded smooth, now the wheel is in primer, sanded out with 400, ready to top coat. Question is whether acrylic enamel (with hardener) or base coat/clear coat would be a better option for something that will be handled, hopefully a lot? Looking for something that will stand up to hand contacts, perspiration, etc...thanks

For a Hawk wheel,I have had good luck with appliance paint. It is epoxy enamel. Easy to find in white. I use just regular old Rustoleum black for the rest of the wheel. I used JB Weld to fill in cracks.
    Last edited by Son O Lark; 04-28-2020, 04:48 PM.

Comment

I also used appliance epoxy white and black paint has held up well going on nine years The white is really white

Comment

I have always just used automotive enamel. Even on an everyday use car, it held up.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I think what is MOST important, more than what Type Top Coat to use, is what TYPE of Primer is that, it MUST be compatible with whatever you choose to put over it.

Staying with ONE Brand and Type assures they will be compatible.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I've repaired many steering wheels with JB Weld and painted them with acrylic enamel and they've held up amazinlgly well. The wheel in my '54 Chevy sedan was done this way over 20 years ago and still looks new. I used regular Rustoleum on my VW, it's not so durable but ok if you don't beat on it with rings and such. I upholstered the hoop on it, so only the spokes are exposed so it's not a problem. I used Rustoleum appliance epoxy on the wheel I made for my GT. So far it's held up very well. I painted a motorcycle with it 5 years ago, and it still looks like I just painted it. Good stuff; it only comes in gloss black, white and almond.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1222.JPG
Views:	471
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	1832908

Comment

About 40 years ago I painted the steering wheel on my '62 Champ with Black automotive paint. Either urethane or catalyzed acrylic enamel. Don't remember. It still looks great.

Comment

For durability, I suppose either would be fine. I 'm no expert, but I used base coat clear coat on 3 steering wheels ... it's more work, but I just like the way the clear lays down and the finished deep look. I base/cleared my first wheel over 20 years ago and it still looks new. I always felt the base/clear had better UV protection and would hold up to sunlight better than enamel too...maybe someone can comment on that? Here is my latest....'39 commander.

Comment

Originally posted by fh4ever View Post
                  I always felt the base/clear had better UV protection and would hold up to sunlight better than enamel too...maybe someone can comment on that? Here is my latest....'39 commander.
                  The only clear coat I've found that will stand up to weather or sunlight is Imron, even on wood! I tested it. Not easy to come by these days, or the last 20 years, at least here. I've only used a couple newer clears, neither held up well in this desert climate, and both were more difficult to use.

Comment

Working...
                  X