Dying a vinyl roof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint: Dying a vinyl roof

There are many things that cannot be dyed. Anything made of nylon, or a nylon blend, will not accept dye. Having said that, I just got a replacement vinyl roof from SI for a 66. They only have two colors; black & white. I got the white. But I'd rather have red. I'm fairly certain that if I try to dye it I'll ruin it. But, who knows, maybe it can be easily done. Anybody got any info on that?

Many , many years ago I had a vehicle with a black vinyl roof. Lived in Texas and wanted something cooler. Dyed it white. Dye job came out beautiful. Couldn't tell it was not that way from factory. Several years after that I owned a paint & body shop. Dyed many vinyl tops. Always with good results.
    What's most important is that top be perfectly clean. All grease, wax, Armor All, etc. must be completely removed.

Comment

Is this done with a paint with flex additive? Or a very specific paint for vinyl?
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10,
      '51 Commander Starlight,
      '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
      '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by HawkBuilder View Post
        There are many things that cannot be dyed. Anything made of nylon, or a nylon blend, will not accept dye. Having said that, I just got a replacement vinyl roof from SI for a 66. They only have two colors; black & white. I got the white. But I'd rather have red. I'm fairly certain that if I try to dye it I'll ruin it. But, who knows, maybe it can be easily done. Anybody got any info on that?
        IIRC, Studebaker only offered the two colors.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

You can have vinyl paint made up. I did this for my Valiant when the seats started to fade. It had to be sprayed on.

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
            Is this done with a paint with flex additive? Or a very specific paint for vinyl?
            It's done with vinyl dye. One brand is SEM but there are others. Go to a store that sells paint and body shop supplies to professionals. They'll help you. An online supplier to hobbyists is Eastwood.

Comment

Working...
            X