cutting out after stopping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: cutting out after stopping

60 hawk 289 , new carb, running strong but cuts out at stops[lights,traffic etc. pump once and starts right. any advise/ float adj?

Originally posted by boatnuttom View Post
    60 hawk 289 , new carb, running strong but cuts out at stops[lights,traffic etc. pump once and starts right. any advise/ float adj?
    Not likely float adjustment. What is the idle set at? Does it have a properly working/set dash pot to slow down the movement to idle?
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Maybe adjust the idle speed up a bit, but first check the idle mixture screws' settings. If that don't do it, check float level. If it stalls when coming to an abrupt stop, it may be floats set too high. If it stalls after sitting there 10 seconds or more, it's likely idle speed too low and/or idle mixture setting.

Comment

Although these other suggestions ARE possible, the first place I would look is:

An inconsistent Idle speed is very often because of Throttle Linkage or Return Spring issues.
        I have even found a binding Rod to the Gas Pedal or a jammed throttle BOOT causing this.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Before you go cranking around on your carburetor screws or throwing parts at the problem, how about going out to your car, while it's dark, crank it up, raise the hood and look for electrical arcs around your distributor cap while the car is at idle. Many years ago, I had a slant six Dodge Dart that drove me and the dealership nuts trying to diagnose the car cutting off at idle just as you are experiencing.

On my car, the distributor cap was not very old and the dealer shop changed plug wires, plugs, and did a whole lot of monkeying around with the carburetor. After picking the car up one evening after they claimed it was fixed, I drove it home and it cut off at every street light and stop sign on the way home. It was dark when I got home and I raised the hood trying to figure out what the heck was going on? I had my wife come out and fire up the car while I observed the engine. In the dark, the distributor looked like a lightning storm with little blue sparks dancing around on top of the distributor. Back then, I think I bought a new distributor cap for less than $15 and it cured the problem instantly! That was after at least three trips and a bunch of frustration and hard feelings between me and my friends at the dealership. I have had tiny hairline cracks in a distributor cap or carbon tracking to not allow an engine to idle or do the opposite...where it will idle but cut off when you try to accelerate.

This might not be your problem, but what do you have to lose by checking? Make sure to view the engine in pitch-black darkness. But keep your hands clear of the moving parts.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

boatnuttom, I had the same problem with my 62 GT, thinking it must be the carburettor but it wasn't, so I went a hunting and it turned out to be the small screw that clamps the coil wire, condenser and points together inside the distributor was loose. Just a thought and worth checking. Cheers Harryhawk
            Last edited by Harryhawk; 04-28-2020, 02:57 AM.

Comment

thanks every one ill check these things

Comment

idle fluctuates between 650 in gear and 1000

Comment

Does the car have a PCV valve retrofitted to it? That going bad would cause these symptoms.

A vacuum leak somewhere could contribute also.
                  RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                  10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                  10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                  4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                  5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                  56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                  60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

no pcv valve or dashpot. still looking for answers

Comment

You say "new carb" or is it rebuilt. With inconsistent idle like that, I've usually found that there is wear in throttle shaft and bushings. The dashpot's purpose is to prevent stalling as you descibe by prevent the throttle from abruptly closing. It almost has to be one of these issues. Check the throttle shaft for play; any at all is too much. Consider re-installing the dashpot.

Comment

Is this "New Carb." a Edelbrock 4 Brl. or what?
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

That much idle fluctuation in gear and i would suspect a going bad torque converter, it's happened! Luck Doofus

Comment

Working...
                          X