No announcement yet.

Cannot get fuel to carb - 52 2R6 Truck w/Commander 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can report with great excitement that the truck is now running well! We took it out for a quick drive around the block! It turns out that there is an art to getting the fuel pump arm set correctly, but after some trial and error we got it to go!

Comment

Originally posted by sligtone View Post
      I can report with great excitement that the truck is now running well! We took it out for a quick drive around the block! It turns out that there is an art to getting the fuel pump arm set correctly, but after some trial and error we got it to go!
      That is great! but in true internet fashion - it never really happens until a video is posted!

Comment

Originally posted by sligtone View Post
        Great report! I know of one existing problem besides yours where this is a related problem. (and there may be more.) Installing a fuel pump actuator arm is a task that involves a little finagling (technical term) and awkwardness. It is an interference fit. Meaning that if there is no interference (resistance), it ain't gonna work right. That spring-loaded actuator arm has to go UNDER the cam eccentric before the pump is bolted in place. So often, after such discussions, folks forget to come back and let us know. Each problem solved and reported solved helps to solidify our collective knowledge base.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Yes, jclary we found you definitely need to get that fit and resistance right, took both of us to hold it in straight to get the pump attached.
          62champ I will try to post the only video I got, we got it before we put the wiper tubes on, carb adjusted and took the truck out for a spin. But I will get post more when we get it out driving again

Comment

Here are some pics of a second trip around the block....wont let me load the video.
            Attached Files

Comment

second shot
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi. On a related note: my ‘49 2R5 has a fuel pump issue.

It bench checks good but won’t deliver fuel to the carburetor. The lines are clear and I’ve primed the pump.

when I bolt it on the engine I don’t think the cam is depressing the rocker arm enough to pump the fuel. The cam is fine, no significant wear.

The pump just goes straight in and barely compresses the rocker arm when I bolt it down.

Any tips or suggestions please!

Comment

The arm goes UNDER the cam lobe. Depending on where the camshaft stopped, you may have to tip the pump body up steeply until you can feel the arm getting pushed down by the cam.
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

This may seem like a dumb question but, since you only mentioned it's a 2R5 (that HAD the 169 c.i.d small Champion Six when New), has the Engine been Changed?
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                    X