Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Cannot get fuel to carb - 52 2R6 Truck w/Commander 6

Hi Everyone,

I'm working on getting my truck back on the road after 5+ years of sitting outside in the weather....but have encountered a fuel related mystery I cannot find a solution to. Here is what has been done so far:

- New gas tank from Studebaker intl
    - rerouted and extended the fuel line to connect at the top of the new tank where the outlet now is
    - new gas sending unit
    - new rubber gas neck filler
    - New distributor cap, coil, wires, points and plugs
    - new fuel pump
    - removed and cleared some junk that was in the fuel line

We can get the truck to run with starter fluid or by filling the bowl in the carb, sometimes up to almost 20-30 seconds and runs great, but cannot get any gas up to the carb from the fuel pump

We rigged up a siphon at the end of the fuel line just below the fuel pump, to pull gas all the way up to there to see if it was getting through. Its not a solid stream but there is fuel getting through to that point. We also tried pressurizing from the fuel filler neck but couldnt seem to build up enough pressure to push out at the end of the fuel line

No Matter what, We cant even get a drop of fuel to get pulled into the fuel pump. And when we manually fill the glass bowk at the fuel pump, nothing gets through. We removed the fuel pump to double check and it seems like it works fine pulling from the glass bowl

I've read through the forum and tried to use every trick I could, but to no avail...Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you

Does the new tank have a line, from where you connected the fuel line at the top ,down into the tank where the fuel is?
    Is the fuel line/lines from the tank to the fuel pump new? Perhaps you have a small air leak, like at a clip or an internal breakdown of the flexible line(s).

EDIT: Welcome to the SDC Forum!
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I went through a similar scenario changed fuel pumps, carburetors etc. the short version is I had 2-3 pin holes in the fuel line and the fuel pump was sucking air, I replaced the fuel line and all is well.
      I disconnected the line at the pump and attached a long rubber hose and blew gently through it while spraying soapy water over the fuel line, there was white bubbles every where.

Comment

Like Gary, I am confused about this "Fuel Line coming out of the TOP of the Tank" issue.

The New C and K and Truck Tanks that Steven Alan at S/A had reproduced that I have seen Pics of, looked VERY Original looking.
        The Truck Tanks always had the Line coming out of the Side.

HOWEVER I did NOT see this:

http://mystudebaker.com/carb-fuel/st...ems/#iLightbox[gallery_image_1]/1

It does explain that you have to do a little "Mod" to the Fuel Lines, so hopefully there IS a Line Inside going very near the Bottom, but it IS a very Long Tank so it may take a pretty good amount of Fuel before it picks up.

So it DOES sound like a Air leak somewhere in the Fuel Line, OR:
        since 245 Fuel pumps are no longer available New, could one install a 170 Pump and since it would not hook up, it would not run.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 04-27-2020, 01:31 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thank you everyone for your help! I will definitely try all of these suggestions.

StudeRich I'm intrigued by your comment.....I bought this fuel pump from Studebaker Intl https://www.parts123.com/parts123/dy...03a&uKeY=AADVE, and it looked just like the one that came off the truck but maybe I didnt look close enough at the fine print and the arm length.....Is there a difference in these two pumps 170 vs 245? Is the arm longer on the 245?

Comment

Yes, that is a Champion 6 fuel pump. They are essentially the same except for the arm length. The Commander 6 arm is considerably longer. If you still have the old pump I've heard that the arms are interchangeable, so you could take the arm out of your old pump and install it in the new one.

Roger List
            Roger W. List
            Proud Studebaker Owner

Comment

Thank you Roger L. I'll check this out and see if I can get the arms switched out. I also see a rebuilt pump with the longer arm and the double action so I will consider that as well.

Comment

How much is involved in swapping the longer Commander arm into the Champion fuel pump ? Easy to do on the road ?

Comment

In order to swap the arm you'll have to disassemble the pump then drive out the pivot pin. Once the pin is out press down on the diaphragm to free the end of the arm from the spring tension on the diaphragm. You should then be able then to release the arm from the diaphragm link. Installing the new arm is just the reverse. Note that the arm is probably two pieces and will fall apart once removed. On reassembly holding them together while maintaining pressure on the diaphragm spring and putting the pivot pin back in can be a real PITA.

You mentioned going to a dual action pump. For that you will need an adapter that moves the pump up about an inch or so and out away from the block. This is necessary to allow the fuel pump to clear the motor mount bracket on the Commander engines. The adapters are a bit rare but they are available. Best thing to do is call around to all the vendors and ask. Good luck.

Roger List
                  Roger W. List
                  Proud Studebaker Owner

Comment

Make sure the fuel flex line between the engine and the body is fresh and has no holes or cracks.
                    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Thank you everyone agin for the insights and suggestions...I was able to find the adaptor so once it arrives I will give it a go! Will also double check the fuel lines with the soap trick in the meantime.

Comment

When you said a new fuel pump, I just assumed that it was the correct one for the engine. It appears that may be most or all of your problem.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by sligtone View Post
                          Thank you everyone agin for the insights and suggestions...I was able to find the adaptor so once it arrives I will give it a go! Will also double check the fuel lines with the soap trick in the meantime.
                          Wait a Minute! Do you have a Vacuum Windshield Wiper Motor on this Truck?

Because if NOT, you have absolutely NO need of this Dual Diaphragm Fuel pump!
                          One Half is only Vacuum.

I am just glad I was able to solve your problem with the "Wrong Fuel Pump" suggestion!
                          Last edited by StudeRich; 04-28-2020, 08:31 PM.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Got to thinking about my previous reply. There apparently are at least two different dual action pumps for the Commander 6. I once tried a pump for a car on my M16, it had the right arm for a direct bolt on to the engine but it hit the motor mount bracket. Not sure if the 2R series is the same as the car or not. It's possible the car pump may fit your engine without the adapter. In any case you can still use the adapter just be sure to get the correct pump. If the pump arm looks just like your current pump has but only longer it is a car pump and will not work with the adapter. It can bolt directly to your engine as long as it doesn't hit the bracket. The correct pump for use with the adapter has a strange loop that almost looks like it could pass completely under the camshaft. It is also a one piece casting, not laminated like your current pump. If you compare the two arms the difference is obvious. I hope this description is sufficient, if you have any further questions just ask.

Roger List

I just realized what the difference is between the engines that use the adapter and those that don't. If you're engine has the motor mount brackets on the side it needs the adapter. If the motor mount is a single block that is bolted to the bottom of the timing cover the pump can bolt directly to the engine as there is no bracket in the way. In either case you have to have the correct pump.
                            Roger W. List
                            Proud Studebaker Owner

Comment

Thank you again everyone, I'm cautiously optimistic that I now have the right array or parts.

I do have a vacuum wiper system
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5551.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	1833005

Here is the pump with the long swooping arm

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 6.24.49 PM.png
Views:	172
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	1833006