Overall height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: Overall height

What is the procedure for measuring the height of the car?
    On the shop manual, you can read : road to roof with load.
    Do we put 5 people and suitcases in the trunk before to take the measurement?
    Thanks
    GT Hawk 62 V8
    Lark 62 hardtop skytop 6 cyl
    Silver Hawk 57 Hardtop 6 cyl
    Transtar 57 V8
    Starliner 54 V8

Yep, that's it. But you should start by mesuring without any load. If you are not far from the value with an unloaded car, you got your response. It might be also interesting to compare the stance of your car with what you can find in old pictures. Don't forget that the shop manual figures are these of a car equipped with the original diagonal tyres.
    Nice day to all.
    Last edited by christophe; 04-27-2020, 02:08 AM.
    sigpic

Comment

An old Stude dealer once told me standard ride height was set at the factory for a full tank of gas and a 150 lb. driver in the car. Now you know why there were so many different springs, especially up front for accessories, driver side, etc...

Comment

OF Course! ...NO ONE weighs over 150 Lbs. ! In the 1950's we were ALL trim people.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          OF Course! ...NO ONE weighs over 150 Lbs. ! In the 1950's we were ALL trim people.
          Yep! I was 150lbs... 45 years ago when I was 16. . If I were 150 now I'd have found the fountain of youth and am 16 again, or am deathly ill on my death bed. 210 would be good though. I could stand to loose 10 lbs.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
            An old Stude dealer once told me standard ride height was set at the factory for a full tank of gas and a 150 lb. driver in the car. Now you know why there were so many different springs, especially up front for accessories, driver side, etc...
            👍Thanks for your help.
            GT Hawk 62 V8
            Lark 62 hardtop skytop 6 cyl
            Silver Hawk 57 Hardtop 6 cyl
            Transtar 57 V8
            Starliner 54 V8

Comment

Working...
            X