Dumb Oil Change Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Dumb Oil Change Question

When I remove the oil filter on my hawk 289, will the oil run out on the engine? I have never had one that was on top before. (showing my ignorance.)
    '60 Hawk

Yogi, we had a 56 Sky Hawk with an upside down filter, and it pretty much drained back into the engine when shut off. Won't hurt to put a big ole' rag around it tho', just in case.

Comment

I just wait a half hour or so, after running, and filter is mostly empty.

Comment

Thanks Guys. Just needed to be prepared.
        '60 Hawk

Comment

I was looking at my filter, thinking the same thing... Thank you for asking this, so I don't have to!
          Proud new owner of a 56 Power Hawk!

Comment

In my opinion the top mounted, spin on filter is, by far, the easiest and least messy of any placement. After you've done it once you will ask yourself would you want it anywhere else?

Comment

It tends to be messy so I stuff paper towels or shop rags under the filter to try to prevent oil running down on the valley pan.

Comment

I think that in some cases the amount of mess is the due to the quality of oil filter used. If a good filter is used and time is allowed to let the portion of the captured oil to drain out that is going to. Several drops are all that you should have to deal with. Sadly some filters just don't seem to do as well with their anti drain back valve. There is just no substitute for properly engineered filter. I use Wix and NAPA's version of the Wix filter and never had the problem.

Comment

I take a small nail set punch and punch a hole in the top of old the filter then pull the plug in the oil pan. Then give it enough time to empty out. This method never fails.

Comment

Working...
                  X