Front leaf spring curve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
    According to the parts book, the standard front leaf spring for 7E trucks (1/2 or 3/4 ton) with a V8 would have 9 leaves - the heavy duty would have 10.
    I have a possible 9th springs , but with the spring clips, could not fit them in, plus they do not look like the rest of the springs. Looks like new ones made, per 6E specs, is about $600. NOS listed, is about $700. I'm waiting for a quote to have them re-arched.
    Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

Mike - look online for a company called St. Louis Spring - a cousin had a set of front springs made for his Studebaker pick-up for less than $300

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
        Mike - look online for a company called St. Louis Spring - a cousin had a set of front springs made for his Studebaker pick-up for less than $300
        Thanks, I will check with them!
        Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

I have not had it done, but have heard over the years, that re-arching the springs does not hold up over time. Does anybody else here have personal experience with this?

Comment

It can be a stop-gap measure , especially if you drive the vehicle a great deal or load it up . In some cases a new set is too expensive or even not available . As in everything else it has to do with the care and skill of the guy doing the work and the condition of the springs . Good spring shops are getting harder to come by these days . I have had springs re-arched in the past for several customer projects and not had any problems . The springs in my Champ were really gone , if they hold up for a year or two until I can get a new set made I will be happy . A new spring pack is always the best choice though .

Comment

On my 64 champ with new nos springs the left side got damaged , as an emergecy repair I installed overload coil spring for rear axle of pickup, it bolts on between axle and frame. Worked well but certainly not original

Comment

Working...
              X