Front leaf spring curve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Axle / Front Suspension: Front leaf spring curve

So I temporarily put tires and wheels on the front end of my frame...... and not sure how much curve the front springs should have. No transmission or cab on the springs, and they already look pretty straight instead of curved.

Click image for larger version

Name:	94198153_2847994821950323_5402307966256807936_n.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	1832311Click image for larger version

Name:	94257605_2847994888616983_8875783438850850816_n.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	1832312

I realize rather hard to see in the photos, but the leaf springs have minimal curve to them. Should they have more curve to them?
    Mike
    Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

That IS a tough call not knowing what they will look like with a completed truck on them.
    But I will say that those ARE pretty Rigid Truck Springs and may not "Flex" much more.

I don't know, but I would "Think" that Shops that Re-Arc Springs would be able to tell the tension they have left and if they are close to "Spec".

Are those NINE Leaf Springs?
    Last edited by StudeRich; 04-25-2020, 01:02 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Those springs do tend to loose some of their "spring" as then age. Below are the old springs on the front of my 7E5. Minus some fluids and a battery, all the weight is there that would normally be. They are the heavy duty version for the six cylinder trucks, but you can see the one of the left is pretty flat compared to the one of the other side. Will probably break down and buy a new set - worried that it might want to wallow when driving and make it perform poorly...

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        I don't know, but I would "Think" that Shops that Re-Arc Springs would be able to tell the tension they have left and if they are close to "Spec".

Are those NINE Leaf Springs?
        I will call the place that did my kingpins and ubolts, see if they can test, or measure the springs.
        Currently its 8 leaf springs. All I have.

Thanks for the input,
        Mike

Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
          Those springs do tend to loose some of their "spring" as then age. Below are the old springs on the front of my 7E5. Minus some fluids and a battery, all the weight is there that would normally be. They are the heavy duty version for the six cylinder trucks, but you can see the one of the left is pretty flat compared to the one of the other side. Will probably break down and buy a new set - worried that it might want to wallow when driving and make it perform poorly...
          Thanks for the photo. Mine aren't quite as flat as yours on the left, but I don't have the heads on the engine, or the transmission bolted up either. So, guess I will see what can be done with mine, or maybe buy new ones. Thanks again for the photo.

Mike

Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

I took some pictures of my front springs . 64 Champ 259 , automatic . I believe this truck was a 6 cylinder as the springs are only 5 over 1 but I have not run the #s yet . It has definitely been changed around a bit . When I got the truck last year the springs would clash on the snubbers over even a small dip . They had a reverse curve on them and the front end was low . I had them re-arched and I pressed in New bushings and I think they are pretty good now , there was a big difference .

hopefully you can see it enough
            Last edited by 259Champ; 04-28-2020, 06:06 AM.

Comment

IIRC, some Stude pickups have a left and a right front spring. Supposedly, this is because the weight of the fuel tank, the driver, the battery and the steering box are all on the left side; for the truck to sit level when loaded and go down crowned roads without pulling. Anyone else have part numbers to confirm this?

This I do know from experience; the Stude pickup spring eye bushings are junk and always pound out in too-few miles. The design with the shackle bolt chewing on the spring bushing rubber is just wrong science. If one is having new springs made, or even having them re-arched, change the main leaf to one with a larger eye to accept a hard spring bushing with a center steel sleeve.

jack vines
              PackardV8

Comment

On my 7E7 with 289 and bias 6.70-15’s at 25 psi, the front spring eye center heights are roughly F = 13.5” and R = 11.5”.

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                  IIRC, some Stude pickups have a left and a right front spring. Supposedly, this is because the weight of the fuel tank, the driver, the battery and the steering box are all on the left side; for the truck to sit level when loaded and go down crowned roads without pulling. Anyone else have part numbers to confirm this?
                  jack vines
                  This is correct up to 3E series. After that both front springs same.

Comment

Originally posted by 259Champ View Post
                    I had them re-arched and I pressed in New bushings and I think they are pretty good now , there was a big difference .
                    Thanks for the information and photos, that is helpful. Looks like you have 6? leaf springs up front. And they have more curve than mine with 8.
                    Last edited by ChampCouple; 04-28-2020, 07:52 PM.
                    Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                      This I do know from experience; the Stude pickup spring eye bushings are junk and always pound out in too-few miles. The design with the shackle bolt chewing on the spring bushing rubber is just wrong science. If one is having new springs made, or even having them re-arched, change the main leaf to one with a larger eye to accept a hard spring bushing with a center steel sleeve.
                      I think my rear leaf spring bushings had the center steel sleeve, but not the front ones. Thanks for the tip.

Mike
                      Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by NCDave51 View Post
                        On my 7E7 with 289 and bias 6.70-15’s at 25 psi, the front spring eye center heights are roughly F = 13.5” and R = 11.5”.
                        Thanks for the information and photos. I'll see how that compares with mine.
                        Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

According to the parts book, the standard front leaf spring for 7E trucks (1/2 or 3/4 ton) with a V8 would have 9 leaves - the heavy duty would have 10.

Comment

Originally posted by rbisacca View Post

This is correct up to 3E series. After that both front springs same.
                            Actually, the 8E series did have different right and left front springs.
                            Paul
                            Winston-Salem, NC
                            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post

Actually, the 8E series did have different right and left front springs.
                              Yep, you're correct. Now I wanna know why.

Comment

Working...
                              X