Inner Fender rubber pieces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Inner Fender rubber pieces

My 1959 Lark wagon is just about complete. Inside the front fenders I believe there are some rubber pieces that should be installed, I imagine they serve as a splash guard against road wetness. Is this outlined in any of the manuals so I can install them properly? The old ones are pretty torn so does not really give me an indication where they should be installed. I think they were installed with staples?
    Regards,
    Mark

New ones are available that will simplify your project, there were Heavy Gauge Staples holding the Originals.

The Exhaust manifolds on V8's are susceptible to water cracking them, which is one reason for them.

https://studebakervendors.com
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I have an installation question. I have similar rubber pieces for my GT Hawk which came with the staples. How is the best way to install them?

Dennis

Comment

I used pop rivets with washers. I just wanted it serviceable but my car is not a numbers matching restoration

Comment

Hi, I would like to know if the rubber pieces are illustrated in one of the manuals?

Comment

I used those plastic pins like modern cars use . Hold the splashguard in place to find the best spots for holes mark the guard after making holes mark inside fender it’s a pain to drill but doable. Good luck

Comment

Nothing wrong with using any method that works but the couple of times I've used the staples I use a drill slightly larger than the staples and drill through the original holes and the new flap and push the staples through. You can crimp them in a number of ways. A bit fiddly but looks good.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by 007 View Post
                Hi, I would like to know if the rubber pieces are illustrated in one of the manuals?
                Not as separate items in parts books. Shown as attached to inner fender. Check Studebaker Int'l Catalog page 111. PN 1331759, $18.50. Staples PN 801930.

Comment

You could also use bailing wire and "sew" them to the fenders using the original staple holes.
                  RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                  10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                  10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                  4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                  5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                  56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                  60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Hi and thank you for all your suggestions. Could someone take a picture of the rubber splash shield installed? I still can't seem to orientate the original rubber to fit where they were supposed to be. I also noted that there are actually two separate pieces of rubber that were attached. The smaller piece has three bolt holes.
                    Yes the Studebaker Catalogue lists part number 1331759 as a replacement I assume for both. Also there is no separate illustration in any of the manuals.
                    Regards,
                    Mark

Comment

Okay fellows/ladies. I asked for a picture of the rubber splash guards in place on a 59 Lark. So far no information. I have included a picture of what they look like off the car.
                      Regards.

Comment

I did essentially what Radio Roy suggested.

Comment

Hi Fellows,
                          I don't have original staple holes as I suspect that somewhere in the restoration process these holes were filled/welded so there is no indication where any bolts, or staples holes were. Are these rubber pieces unique to the 59 wagon and once again can someone send a picture with them in place?

Comment

Out of the twelve pages of photos of early Larks, this is about the only one I have where the rubber shielding is really visible - hope that might help.

Comment

I have a 59 parts car out back. Engine is gone, so I can get some good pictures in the morning.

Comment

Working...
                              X