Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Rear Springs for 1961-1963 sedans interchangeable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: Are Rear Springs for 1961-1963 sedans interchangeable?

Some time this year I'll be looking for a 1961 or 1962 two door sedan and am interested as to the fit of 1963 Cruiser rear springs as being a possible replacement if needed.

What say you...

I do not know about the springs, But I have a 1961 2 door hardtop here that needs a new home. It has the 259 and flightomatic. I was going to work on it for myself, but now I am up to my neck in trucks, so I could use the space and the cash for those projects.

Comment

Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
      I do not know about the springs, But I have a 1961 2 door hardtop here that needs a new home. It has the 259 and flightomatic. I was going to work on it for myself, but now I am up to my neck in trucks, so I could use the space and the cash for those projects.

I'll be in the market for a sedan as opposed to hardtop and preferably one that does not have a drivetrain as I have in my possesion a very low mileage 289 out of a very rusty '63 Cruiser. I just want it as a "fun" car...

good luck in finding the '62 a good home!

Comment

To answer your question...interchangeable? Not exactly. Beginning with 1962 Lark models, the rear spring center bolt was moved rearward by 1/2” - thereby increasing the wheelbase of 1962 models by 1/2”. They are the same overall length, but you would always want to change them in pairs if you were to install ‘62 and later rear springs in ‘59 - ‘61 Lark models.

Comment

I don't expect you will have any Fit problems Y9 Body to F4 , it is just the Spring Rate that will be stiffer being designed for a Longer W/B, heavier Car, and I don't think it is going to raise the rear much, but that helps the "Loaded Height" to be more reasonable.

We installed Used '63 Wagonaire rear springs with 5 leaves, in a '63 Cruiser and it raised the rear ride height maybe 1 -2 inches empty, but nice and level instead of sagging with rear seat passengers.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

when you buy new leaf springs from Eaton or other, do they deliver with bushings installed ???

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              I don't expect you will have any Fit problems Y9 Body to F4 , it is just the Spring Rate that will be stiffer being designed for a Longer W/B, heavier Car, and I don't think it is going to raise the rear much, but that helps the "Loaded Height" to be more reasonable.

We installed Used '63 Wagonaire rear springs with 5 leaves, in a '63 Cruiser and it raised the rear ride height maybe 1 -2 inches empty, but nice and level instead of sagging with rear seat passengers.

I think that is what I'm looking for and maybe I should also limit my choice of of a two door sedan to the '62 models only. The springs on the '63 rusty, (55K), Cruiser still have a nice curve despite the trunk being loaded and stuff on the rear seat.

Since the '62 two door sedan will be a "fun" car should I be lucky enough to find one I'll also be looking to install a heavier front sway bar and rear stabilizer. I do have access to to the earlier sedan rear bars that were standard equipment for President cars. I also have a set of early spring brackets with the tab to secure those stabilizers but that would present an issue as to what shocks to use...

Comment

That's exactly the result that I am seeking.

Before I abandoned the '55 Prez State sedan project, I considered springs for a '55 station wagon but all that is off the table now.

Comment

Originally posted by GrumpyOne View Post
                  That's exactly the result that I am seeking.
                  Before I abandoned the '55 Prez State sedan project, I considered springs for a '55 station wagon but all that is off the table now.
                  That's a very good thing Grumpy, (James) because there is NO Way those '55 Springs would fit!

I believe it was 1957 that the Springs changed to asymmetrical mount points, ---the Diff. is Off-Center forward on the Springs, and the Length is Longer.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

That's a very good thing Grumpy, (James) because there is NO Way those '55 Springs would fit!

I believe it was 1957 that the Springs changed to asymmetrical mount points, ---the Diff. is Off-Center forward on the Springs, and the Length is Longer.

I think that you misunderstood about the '55 station wagon springs that would have been intended to replace the "re-arched" sedan springs that I had purchased from the old Standard Surplus which were worse than the springs that were on the car. Wouldn't the springs from a station wagon (1955) fit a '55 long wheel base sedan?

Since I've now decided on a '62 two door sedan for a "fun" car I am assuming that station wagon springs from a '62/63 would fit as well...

Comment

Working...
                    X