Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: 63 Lark Steering Questions

Hi,
    I removed and disassembled the bell crank on a 63 Lark Cruiser. After cleaning it up inside and out and taking some 0000 steel wool to the shaft it seems to me that I should be ok reassembling it with plenty of grease, but when I spin it dry there is just a little tiny bit of resistance, probably from the scoring.
    I also notice the drag link (pitman arm to crank arm) is bent as well as on of the tie rods.

#1 Is the drag link supposed to be bent?
    #2 is the bell crank shaft ok or should it absolutely be replaced.

Side note, this is my wife’s daily driver and I plan on installing factory power steering soon.

Thanks!
    Cheers,
    JOE

--------------------------------------------------

"After all is said and done, a hell of a lot more is said than done"
    Clark Olmstead

The drag ling is bent to clear the cross member. Measure the shaft and if there is no difference between the top, center area and bottom of the shaft then it is good to go. You can adjust the amount of drag on the shaft by the shims on the bottom of the shaft. It should turn freely if you have the correct shims and bottom gasket in place. m5studie

Comment

Before you install that Manual Steering Bellcrank, you will want to Buy a Power Steering one with the extra "Arm" for the Ram.

Your bent Tie Rods can be replaced with the less expensive, easier to find "Replaceable Ends" 1953 to 1962 Type Tube and (2) Rod Ends.
      That Forged Tie Rod must have taken a pretty good hit to bend.

Just get the Old vs New Lengths equal as possible to be in the Ball Park on your Toe-In Adjustment, until you can get an Alignment..
      Last edited by StudeRich; 04-16-2020, 05:59 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thank you M5studie. Thank you Rich.
        Cheers,
        JOE

--------------------------------------------------

"After all is said and done, a hell of a lot more is said than done"
        Clark Olmstead

Comment

Working...