X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• r1lark
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by Eddie

Anybody want to give me a SWAG about V-8 engine weight, minus water manifold, intake and exhaust manifolds, and bellhousing/starter/flywheel?

The reason I ask is the Stude is gradually coming apartfor reassembly *soon* and another project engine I have, 672-lbs. (plus accessories)of inline-six, is going back together next month; I have two engine stands, a 4-wheel 2000# rated one and a 3-wheel one suitable for an SBC. I'd prefer to put the six on the HD one if the Stude is lightened enough at present.

Eddie

"No matter where you are...there you are!"
    Dr. Buckaroo Bonzai
    Eddie,

Some input into the question of which stand to use. The three-wheel stands can be tipped over when rolling a heavy engine over a slightly uneven surface. Or, even if a nut gets wedged under a wheel. Don't ask me how I know.....but it involves a Ford 428 Police Interceptor engine. Well, it did give me a really good reason to buy a set of those cool Ford LeMans black crinckle-finish valve covers, to replace the 'previously' new Weiand covers. Thank goodness the two 4-bbl Holleys and air cleaners weren't on the engine yet.

I still have a few three wheel stands, but use them only to store bare blocks or shortblocks that are "in progress".

Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Leave a comment:

• Alan
    replied
    You are looking at 600-620 lbs. Depending on how much oil it was leaking and how dusty the roads you drove it on.

Leave a comment:

• Silent Bob
    replied
    This site list a 289 at 650 pounds.

http://www.35pickup.com/mulligan/weight.txt

Leave a comment:

• 8E12T6
    replied
    Which is heavier? Both blocks completely "bare to the bone", no heads no crank no pistons no cam no nothing.........
    Stude V8
    FH F**d V8 (49-53)
    I don't have a scale; however when I picked them up today to move them the FH F**d is much heavier. Once they are fully dressed, guess the Stude is by far the heavier.[8]

pwbrown

Leave a comment:

• Warren Webb
    replied
    I have found that the flat plate that the pivot tube is welded to is too thin on most inexpensive engine stands. Presently, I have a 289 that is without all the accessories & it's bent the rear plate which prevents it from being rotated. Unless your working on an aluminum 4 cylinder "ricky racer" engine from the far east, save the hassle & spend the extra couple of bucks on the heavier 4 wheel stand.

60 Lark convertible
    61 Champ
    62 Daytona convertible
    63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2)
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    The search function will bring up many threads about Studebaker V8 engine weight.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8

Leave a comment:

• Swifster
    replied
    When I picked up my 289 last year, it came fully dressed. By that, I mean the alternator, A/C compressor, carb and manifolds. I had already purchased the stand from a local parts store rated for 750 lbs. When the full weight of the engine was on this stand, it promptly colapsed. The engine didn't hit the ground, but it rested at a 45* downward angle. This was a four wheeled stand.

I went to Harbor Frieght and bought another rated for 1000 lbs. This one held up fine. I took the first stand back and the startled employees asked what engine I put on it. I couldn't lie. I honestly told them it was a 289 [)][}].

Get a strong stand. At least rated for 1000lbs and four wheels. Good luck!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Leave a comment:

• Carl Purdy
    replied
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...=weight,of,289
    The chart does not work anymore.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
    As soon as you find a product you like they will stop making it.

Leave a comment:

• Eddie
    replied
    I was worried about the fulcrum/lever thang, too, so I've got two options, there:

1. The factory manual shows the six being mounted by some bosses on the side, crosswise;
    2. Rig a support from engine down to floor at the front on the six.

I'll probably do the "mount sideways" deal, it looks easier.

Eddie

Dr. Buckaroo Bonzai

Leave a comment:

• JDP
    replied
    I'd be more worried about the longer mass of the six, then the weight. A long engine will put more stress on the stand. I once tried to hang a 31 Commander eight on a HD stand but ended up with a support at the front too.

JDP/Maryland
    Please vote for Sid (64GT)in the NYT contest.
    http://collectiblecars.nytimes.com/Contest/

Leave a comment:

• Eddie
    started a topic Stude V-8 Engine Weight?

Stude V-8 Engine Weight?

Anybody want to give me a SWAG about V-8 engine weight, minus water manifold, intake and exhaust manifolds, and bellhousing/starter/flywheel?

The reason I ask is the Stude is gradually coming apartfor reassembly *soon* and another project engine I have, 672-lbs. (plus accessories)of inline-six, is going back together next month; I have two engine stands, a 4-wheel 2000# rated one and a 3-wheel one suitable for an SBC. I'd prefer to put the six on the HD one if the Stude is lightened enough at present.

Eddie

Dr. Buckaroo Bonzai
Working...
X