changing gauges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: changing gauges

1962 Lark wagon V8. I have just purchased a set of 1964 Lark gauges. Unlike the 62, they have a temp gauge and an oil gauge in stead of idiot lights. I have not received them yet, but I want to be prepared. What senders will I need to make these two gauges function? Is the oil gauge mechanical requiring a oil line? Also, looking at my dash and gauges which are all removed from the car, I see no turn signal indicators. Am I missing something or are there none? If none, has anyone installed them, something I would like to do while I have the dash removed.
    Thank you
    Warren
    Last edited by wuga; 04-14-2020, 06:44 AM.

Your Turn Signal indicator is the Single Green lens at the Bottom of your Speedometer and a '64 will be the same, IF you buy one.
    Oil Gauges have a copper line to the engine and a Rubber "Flex Hose" to eliminate vibration connecting to the Rear of the Right Cyl. Head.

Your Temp Gauge uses the same sending unit.
    Your Fuel Gauge also.
    The Ammeter requires re-wiring of the Charge Circuit and Main Power Feed from the Solenoid to put all the "Unkeyed" Power and Output THROUGH it.

The simple way to do that, is just use the '64 Lark Type Wiring Diagram, no problem.

The Gauge Cluster will fit the same hole in the Dash but you might want a matching Silver Green Face Speedometer to Match.

This should get you the Wiring Diagram, chose the COLOR PDF File '63/'64 Lark 6 & 8.
    It will also include the Prestolite Alternator wiring, if you used a factory Type 3 Wire Delco Alt. it would work, but a 1 Wire, I doubt it.

https://www.studebakerparts.com/stud...ediagrams.html
    Last edited by StudeRich; 04-14-2020, 12:15 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thanks, I did get the matching set. No problem with the oil gauge. I have installed a one wire alternator so I will figure that out. I'm surprised about the temp gauge. I thought the idiot light just used an on/off switch sender whereas the gauge would use a variable resistance sender.
      Warren

Comment

There is no IDIOT LIGHT for Temp. it's for Oil Pressure and Amps.
        I am starting to get the feeling that you have never DRIVEN this Car!
        StudeRich

Comment

Sorry a senior moment. I was thinking of another car that I had. Actually, I have only driven this wagon about 10 miles and I have never owned a Studebaker before. The wagon is in about a 1000 pieces and until I start reassembly, some of the facts are up in the air. Up Until now, I have been building hot rods and drag cars. I always wanted a wagon and fell in love with this one when I saw it. But I did grow up in the Hamilton area and had my first job just up the road from the plant in 1965.
          Warren

Comment

That's fine we all have those "Moments", don't worry about that, just focus on Post #2.
            Clearly the Wiring will be your biggest challenge.
            StudeRich

Comment

All the Studes I've had have had 1/8" STEEL lines for the oil gauge line up to the rubber flex line at the head, copper plated, not copper.

Comment

Working...
              X