windlace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: windlace

I originally posted this in my headliner thread and thought it would come to the top. It stayed buried, so I am starting a new thread hoping to get an answer. I removed the old headliner, ordered a new one and now I am preparing to install the windlace. I am installing a piece of stiff ribbon to the tail of the replacement windlace. Does anyone have the width of the original tail piece so after I clamp it in place it sits nicely against the trim and the door. This is on a 1962 Lark wagon.
    Thanks
    Warren

I'll measure it tomorrow and let you know. Right now I'm snowbound--on Easter

Comment

The extension is 1/4 inch. From the inner edge of the windlace to the edge of the retainer flap is 1".

Comment

Warren look closely at the body pieces round the door. notice the groove? a small diameter cord was sewn into the windlass along with the "Tail". this kept the windlass from pulling out from under the "Hammer down grippers". once the retainer strips and headliner are installed you don't notice this groove. working on a 56 wagon myself but nowhere near this stage! my old headliner had a "Tail" of fine wire mesh butted up against the retainer cord. Luck Doofus

Comment

That would help it stay put. Hard to find steel window screen but that would stiffen it and give those little slippery grippers something to grip.

Comment

What i couldnt remember yesterday, Welting Cord, was what we sewed into the Windlass along with a short tail.You tuck the Welting Cord tight against the foam core so one side of the windlass has the locating ridge. also it helps to "Kink" the grippers a bit so they bite the tail instead of just pinching it.tedious but worthwhile. Luck Doofus

Comment

I sewed a piece of heavy ribbon into the tail. It now reaches nicely into the grippers. I have installed the passenger side front and rear doors. I applied a small amount of glue to points that just did not want to behave. I also kinked the grippers and they held great. I did this yesterday and checking everything today, it looks great.
              Thanks
              Warren

Comment

Working...
              X