Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 57studechampion
    replied
    Thanks guys for all the input. I figured out how to get apart. I am going to as Joe Hall suggested lubricate everything before and after re-assembly.

Leave a comment:

• bensherb
    replied
    The stock rubber floor plate in my '62 was rubber over steel, with very little flex to it. With the bell assembly removed from the column and the column lowered from the dash it will slide down to the floor easily.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Van Veghten
    replied
    They used to come split from the dealers.
    Cleanly cut it, it's not that big a deal..!

IF...you are building a 100 point restoration, then yea, take the column apart.
    Two days after you finish the column part of the project, you won't even remember the cut if done cleanly..!

Mike

Leave a comment:

• Dwain G.
    replied
    Originally posted by 57studechampion View Post
    I have the column out and on a bench. I figured out how to get turn signal unit off but I don't know how the shifter collar comes off. I don't see it in the service manual. Any advice?
    It's in the transmission section under gearshift control. Can be a little tricky the first time, but not that hard.

Leave a comment:

• JoeHall
    replied
    I highly recommend you remove the head of the column and install it correctly. If split, it is a major source of of air leak that is difficult to seal totally. Alternately, you can likely stretch it enough to slip it over the lower end, but the shift levers will put the rubber to a real test of max stretch. Unless the car has Saginaw PS I am pretty sure the rubber will stretch enough to go past those levers. I am talking about the lower end, that connects to the gear box. Still, most preferable is to remove the shift collar on the upper end. The Shop Manual shows how, and its not difficult. MOST IMPORTANTLY, if you disassemble the top, you can also then easily disassemble the whole thing to clean and lube it. After you have done that, your car will probably shift easier than you ever thought possible!
    Regardless which end you install the boot from, you will need to fold it in order for it to clear the dash as you slide the column over the steering stalk. At least that's true for most later Studes. It also helps if you loosen the gearbox mount bolts on the frame, which allows the gearbox to tilt down a bit too. If need be, you can remove two of the gearbox mount bolts and pivot it down farther. Just not sure about 1951 Studes, but those are easy workarounds.
    Hope this helps.
    Joe H
    Last edited by JoeHall; 04-12-2020, 11:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• 57studechampion
    replied
    I have the column out and on a bench. I figured out how to get turn signal unit off but I don't know how the shifter collar comes off. I don't see it in the service manual. Any advice?

Leave a comment:

• RadioRoy
    replied
    The original was not sliced at the factory. Someone did it after the fact.

To install the new boot right, you will have to take off the steering wheel and the top shifter collar, loosen or remove the steering box bolts, lower the column way below the dash and slip the boot on and down.

Slicing it will be easier, but I don't recommend it. You can maybe repair the slice with black RTV, aka silicone seal.

Not silicone seal 2. That stuff has no holding power.
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 04-17-2020, 03:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 57studechampion
    started a topic Steering: Steering column boot

Steering column boot

Here I am again asking for help. I have decided to change colors of my 56 Champion 2dr Sedan. It is a Blue car and I am going to make it Red and White like in the Brochure.

I took out the steering column and dash panels. I have painted the steering column post Black. I also painted the dash panels top Black and Bottom White . My old boot on the firewall inside was broken and the gasket behind it was deteriorated. I didn't know either of these until I took apart. I got a new steering column boot and made a gasket seal.

My question is the original gasket seal was sliced so you can split and put around column with no problem. The problem I have is the boot does not have a split in it. So I am thinking I have to take the linkage assembly apart slide boot on and reassemble. How hard is that to do or do I just slice the new boot so I can install it?

Again I appreciate all the guidance and advise you all give.
Working...
X