10w-30 castroil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 10w-30 castroil

I have a 55 commander with the 259 cu in engine. All it's life I have been using straight weight. I plan on changing this spring and putting 10w-30 Castrol in it. I'm in MN

Your thoughts and thank you in advance!

Steve-o-Reno

There should be no harm in going to the multi-weight 10W/30 which is a better year round solution to the "Weight" issue.

HOWEVER, that is the wrong brand to use since Nov. 2007 when all the "off the shelf" standard New Car Oils had the ZDDP levels drastically reduced even the Diesel Oils to protect the Catalytic converters on current vehicles.

Changing to the Valvoline ZR-1 Racing Oil in the silver bottle or ZDDPlus, Red Line or other ZDDP additive will fix that.
    I am sure you must have read this here before from the Dozens of Strings about the issue.

There is always a die hard or two who has used a certain brand for 20 or 30 years without a problem, but no one has checked the Camshaft and lifter Damage since it started in 2007.

https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_m...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Last edited by StudeRich; 04-10-2020, 09:47 AM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I believe your car will be very happy with Castrol 10w30.

Comment

I always figured multiweight oil such as 10-30 meant that it was 30 wt cold and 10 wt hot ??!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
          I always figured multiweight oil such as 10-30 meant that it was 30 wt cold and 10 wt hot ??!!
          The other way around.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
          X