Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JoeHall
    replied
    I have always had the AC2799s on the blue & white 56J, but have used the AC2738s on other 56Js. I like both styles, but the 2738s are definitely easier to clean and wax.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    I think the Line-A-Type operator hit the "Z" instead of the 'X", right next door!

On some P.O.'s the "X" indicated: "place in the Trunk" on most "XAC" was used for loose items like Wheel Covers, Antennas sometimes Mirrors.

At least we know at one time the Hawk did have the correct AC-2738 Wheel Covers.

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    Originally posted by greenhawk View Post
    ... if you order the SNM build order it will list the original wheel covers as supplied.
    DUH!
    That was the first thing I ordered when I acquired the car last August!
    Never let it be said I have my poop together.

It left the factory with the AC2738Z covers according to the PO.
    I see no reference in the parts catalog to indicate what the 'Z' in the part number on the production order indicates.
    But also found this additional information in a browser search, which may be of interest to some, but doesn't address my model; other than identifying the 1957 alternate version (my 3 on the right) Rich referred to as being AC-2841.
    https://1956goldenhawk.com/hubstory.htm

Originally posted by tim333 View Post
    I have some 57 wheel covers if you need just one.
    If they match the covers on the right in my photo, I would be interest in acquiring one. Please send a PM.
    Last edited by rockne10; 04-10-2020, 06:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• greenhawk
    replied
    Just 1 more option; if you order the SNM build order it will list the original wheel covers as supplied.

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    As usual, I agree with Rich. I will add, if the car is from the first half of the 1956 model year you could have the wire style (commonly called Speedster) covers and if from the second half of the 1956 model year you could have the fake spoke style.

Leave a comment:

• tim333
    replied
    I have some 57 wheel covers if you need just one.

Leave a comment:

• Dwight FitzSimons
    replied
    I concur fully with StudeRich. IMHO the 1957 wheel covers are "similar" to the 56s and thus acceptable. And they are prettier. Because you need only one those would be a quick and cheap solution. At a Studebaker zone meet years ago there was a 63 Lark with 1964-5 wheel covers right next to a 64 Lark-type with 63 wheel covers. Maybe a similar occasion/opportunity will pop up in the future when we can come out of our caves and have meets again.
    -StudeDwight

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    So none that I have are correct for the year!
    Glad I found out before beginning any search. And thanks also for the photo with the same Snowcap/Sunglow scheme as mine!

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    The one on the Left is a '66 Only optional Wheel Cover for all Models.

The one on the Right is a '57 Only Model optional Wheel Cover.

The Sky Hawk came Standard with the domed (Bottle Cap) Hub Caps. The correct Optional Wheel Cover (and Most commonly ordered) is like the '57 but without the Black Paint and indentations.
    These are also Correct for '56 Golden Hawks.

The '56's are not as sharp looking as '57's, but Correct.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Yellow Gold Sky Hawk2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	98.8 KB ID:	1829414
    Last edited by StudeRich; 04-09-2020, 10:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    started a topic Other: 1956 Wheel Covers question

1956 Wheel Covers question

My recently acquired '56 Sky Hawk has gone through several owners since it last saw the byways.
    In the trunk it has six wheel covers; two styles and three of each.
    I'm pretty certain the covers with the Hawk emblem were not offered until a later year? While the one on the right is AC-2738, which would be correct.

The Golden Hawk cover (AC-2799?) was it standard for the Sky Hawk, or optional?

So I need to consider what to acquire; a complete set of AC-2799, or a single AC-2738. I must admit I'm partial to the AC-2799.
    But this will be a driver, not a show car; so a $500 set of reproduction covers is out of the question.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P4090809.JPG
Views:	317
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	1829409
Working...
X