Differential Fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Differential Fluid

Going to change fluid in the differential of my 3/4 Ton truck, My ''49 Champion uses 80W90 Gear oil. OK for the truck as well? Planning on using RTV to replace the gasket . Thoughts on either or both? Many thanks

I bought the GL1 90wt from my local True Value, $22 for 2 gallons. Considered "tractor," gear oil. Was told to stay away from GL5 stuff.

https://www.truevalue.com/ford-trans...l-sae-90-2-gal

Comment

For a Differential. you want GL-5 Hypoid Gear Oil.
      85/90 is fine but NOT the important part. Just do NOT use it in your Studebaker Manual or Overdrive Transmission.

I have never had a problem using the proper Differential Cover Gasket with a smear of Permatex.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thanks Gents. Not sure which differential I have in the R2 so a problem getting the gasket unless I make it. Hypoid gear oil for the differential is the recommendation in the manual for my '49 Champion so will the same for for my R2. Based on recommendations received on this site, will be using Red Line MT-90 for the transmission fluid change. Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by JohnAustin View Post
          Thanks Gents. Not sure which differential I have in the R2 so a problem getting the gasket unless I make it. Hypoid gear oil for the differential is the recommendation in the manual for my '49 Champion so will the same for for my R2. Based on recommendations received on this site, will be using Red Line MT-90 for the transmission fluid change. Thanks again
          You will be impressed with the Red Line. Ted Harbit is NEVER wrong!

I have not had good luck using silicone, "gasket maker" on the pumpkin cover without a gasket. I make a gasket using fairly thick (3/32'?) cork material, and prefer the modern type with a bit of rubber mixed into the cork. I place a thin skin of grease on the pumpkin cover's gasket surface, and place it on the cork; the grease marks an OD and ID pattern; trace the OD pattern with a pen, including the bolt holes. Then lay the pumpkin cover aside and trace the ID pattern. Next (before cutting out the pattern) use a socket with extension to cut the bolt holes; use about a 3/8" socket, and a ball peen to hammer on the extension with the gasket laying on a hard surface such as concrete, and it will cut nice bolt holes. Then, cut the OD and ID pattern with scissors, put a thin skin of my favorite RTV on each side of the gasket, and install.

You probably already knew how to make a gasket, but I explained it in case someone else doesn't.

Hope this helps.
          Last edited by JoeHall; 04-09-2020, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Yes, I've made gaskets before but your advice will make this so much easier and produce a product that works. Many thanks, Joe

Comment

If you have TT, you may have to add friction modifier. I did on my 62 Hawk.

Comment

On an R2, it is VERY likely that it was ordered with a Dana/Studebaker Twin Traction Limited Slip Differential, so you WILL need the 4 OZ bottle of "Friction Modifier" Limited Slip Additive for a complete fill of your Diff.

There is NO problem getting a Diff. Cover Gasket for a Dana rear end, it is a common Model 44 as in some V8 Jeeps, and older Fords & Chrysler Products: FelPro RDS6629.

Or, in our Studebaker World, there are only TWO.
                The 1560245 for Model 23 & 27 (NOT YOU) and Model 44, 1561783 easily available at Studebaker Vendors and your Local Auto Parts Store.

I also never had a Factory Designed and Mfg'd one leak.

https://studebakervendors.com
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Does anyone have any experience using full synthetic oil in the transmission and/or rear end?

Comment

It improved the shifting of my Rover P5. Don't use it in an overdrive transmission.

Comment

Originally posted by fastjohnll View Post
                      Does anyone have any experience using full synthetic oil in the transmission and/or rear end?
                      Red Line MT-90 is full synthetic, and I have been using it in Studebaker OD transmissions for many years. I have also ran Mobil 1, 15w50 synthetic oil in Stude motors since the late 1990s. I just use GL5 dino oil in the rear ends, 85w140. .

Comment

Working...
                      X