X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• poweroptions
    replied
    Originally posted by 1953champcoupe View Post
    I just got mine installed yesterday, made extensions for the radiator support and a diagonal brace from the valence to the lower grille housing. Out of four cars I had two usable valances I used the much less pristine one because a nice one will sell better (when I get around to doing so) and the car is low and will undoubtedly get abused Glad I could be of a little help. I lived in Las Cruces NM back in the 60's so I know your weather is much warmer down in Texas
    Yes thank you again. GREAT help. Grew up in SE Nebr. dad farmed 1000 acres and mom and us kids milked 20-30 cows and feed out steers. I went south to Tyler Tx area as soon as I got out of school in the mid 70s. I have a great friend in Albion IA. that is a bonified car nut. At 81 he is still restoring and working on a Jeepster now.

Leave a comment:

• 1953champcoupe
    replied
    I just got mine installed yesterday, made extensions for the radiator support and a diagonal brace from the valence to the lower grille housing. Out of four cars I had two usable valances I used the much less pristine one because a nice one will sell better (when I get around to doing so) and the car is low and will undoubtedly get abused Glad I could be of a little help. I lived in Las Cruces NM back in the 60's so I know your weather is much warmer down in Texas

Leave a comment:

• poweroptions
    replied
    Originally posted by 55s View Post
    Yes. 53-55 was one style. 56 forward was another. Mounting tabs are different.
    Thank you! for giving me clarity and all of us on here that questioned this. I was worked up thinking I had put things together wrong which would not have been the first time. Sheet metal done ! Now it's on the LarkWork's incredible wiring harness. The ole Commander is getting alot closer after 6 years of work. Having to shut our businesses down is giving me a lot of time in my garage.

Leave a comment:

• 55s
    replied
    Yes. 53-55 was one style. 56 forward was another. Mounting tabs are different.

Leave a comment:

• poweroptions
    replied
    Originally posted by Flashback View Post
    Are you saying you know it's a Hawk style and you gonna use it anyway ? I know it's been touched on, but is it the wrong model ? I know the saddle won't work backward. It's all in the scoop/valance. It appears it's too far from radiator also? Or is that just the angle ? Seems 53 Champ Coupe has the answer ?
    Yes I seem to think 53 Champ Coupe has the answer, Flash. Every bolt hole lined up thruout the re-installation of the front clip. If I find a original 53/54 valance, I'll refurb it and repaint it. The valance is EZ to replace. I cut 2 pieces of flat iron drilled holes painted then black and unless I point it out you'd never know. Now on to the re wiring project.

Leave a comment:

• Flashback
    replied
    Are you saying you know it's a Hawk style and you gonna use it anyway ? I know it's been touched on, but is it the wrong model ? I know the saddle won't work backward. It's all in the scoop/valance. It appears it's too far from radiator also? Or is that just the angle ? Seems 53 Champ Coupe has the answer ?

Leave a comment:

• poweroptions
    replied
    Originally posted by 1953champcoupe View Post
    I installed the valence a few minutes ago and my memory was correct. The Hawk style valence is different that the fitment on a 53. Note that the tabs are short and the "cut" for the radiator drain are different. As much as I had to do to fix that valence to I could have moved that too This valance came off or a 58 or 59 Hawk. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2896.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	1829477
    Good Morning Iowa. I was just talking to a buddy of ours this morning outside Marshalltown. I'm a old Nebraska farm kid transplanted to TX 40+ years ago. Your news is GREAT news. I was out in the garage until 1am this morning trying to figure out if I had done something stupid. Got up this morning thinking damn so I have to tear this all apart again? Your valance is just like mine. That's why these don't fit like the original on a 53/54. Jeff said back a few comments that because it was repro it wasn't the same as original. You just cleared this up and I can move on. I going out to the shop and cut out some extensions to bridge them together. THANK YOU ! Pat

Leave a comment:

• 1953champcoupe
    replied
    I installed the valence a few minutes ago and my memory was correct. The Hawk style valence is different that the fitment on a 53. Note that the tabs are short and the "cut" for the radiator drain are different. As much as I had to do to fix that valence to I could have moved that too This valance came off or a 58 or 59 Hawk. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2896.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	1829477
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• poweroptions
    replied
    Originally posted by oilnsteel View Post
    Maybe its just the pictures, but the mounting tabs on the core support don't look right to me.

JT
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20200406_152848.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	1829441 I posted a few pictures of the radiator core support. I don't know this cars history at all. I don't know if the radiator support or radiator is correct. It's what it came with. I bought this car disassembled and in boxes. Trying to put him back together.

Leave a comment:

• poweroptions
    replied

Name:	20200409_223013.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	1829403Click image for larger version

Name:	20200409_222938.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	1829404 more pics
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• poweroptions
    replied

Name:	20200409_222803.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	1829400‚Äčthe Click image for larger version

Name:	20200409_222651.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	1829399 radiator. Core support backwards? I have not redrilled anything
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• oilnsteel
    replied
    Maybe its just the pictures, but the mounting tabs on the core support don't look right to me.

JT

Leave a comment:

• Jeff_H
    replied
    Any chance the core support is in backwards? The mounting tabs for the frame are angled... But, I think the holes for the shroud would be missing unless someone drilled it out. IF it were in backwards, I think that makes it sit farther back.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    One thing that jumps out to me is that Radiator is not the original, they had CROSS Cooling Fins, not Vertical ones.
    That MAY explain why your Drain Cock does not line up with your Radiator Saddle.

If I saw the Top tank I could better identify it, probably a Hawk.

Of course since the Lower Air dam is a Reproduction, that says it all.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 04-09-2020, 10:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 1953champcoupe
    replied
    For what it is worth. I have a 53 coupe and the front valence was gone, I ended up with a couple of valence's off of later model Hawks, when I set it up to see how it was going to fit I found that the tabs didn't appear to be in the same place They were short. This has been a few weeks ago so I hope my aged memory isn't failing.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X