Need opinions from the painters out there

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint: Need opinions from the painters out there

I planning on single stage for Dad's 50 Champion. It will be a light blue solid color. I am more familiar with PPG base coat and SPI Universal clear coat. The SPI clear sands and buffs very nicely.

I am looking for recommendations on a single stage urethane that sands and buffs easily. My local options are Martin Senour, Axalta (formerly Dupont) and PPG's shop line and fleet line. Our local PPG store stopped carrying Deltron. I could also order something else if there was a significant advantage.

Opinions please.
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Rank amateur here, but the last two cars I painted I used TCPGlobal acrylic Enamel. Why? Cost was much less than local and it sprayed quite well.

MIXED PAINT ORDERS - Due to major increase in business and national shortage of raw materials, mixed paint orders are currently taking 5-10 business  days to make prior to order shipping. AE - ACRYLIC ENAMEL SYSTEM Restoration Shop (AE) Acrylic Enamel Paint System AE is a Professional Easy-To-Use Single-Stage High Glos

I used the 1401 Daytona Yellow on my 74 Avanti with hardener and a Sharpe Finex spray gun. Lays down and covers well once the gun is set up correctly. Had slight "orange peel" but not bad for my skill level.

I'm not happy with the local moderate cost paints available from PPG, local stores choice and runny. Remember - I didn't use the "Topend" stuff.

Wet sanded it and the polished it out with 3M products and it looks pretty darn good. I generally avoid Urethane's as my polebarn is my booth so I use the enamels but that's just me.

If you're looking for the top end stuff, let Brad and the pros help out but for my level of painter, I'll suggest the above.

Self -gratifying shot of the 74 last fall.

Click image for larger version  Name:	74 sideshot.jpg Views:	0 Size:	140.3 KB ID:	1828942

Comment

If you are going with a light blue, why not use Maui Blue? It will never go out of style.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Why do you want to use single stage. Just asking. You know you can clear coat single stage if you want. I've used shop line single stage and after any where from a bout two hours to 24 hours dry time coated with SPI universal clear and not had any problems with it.

Comment

Roy, Maui Blue is what we are shooting for. Just depends on whether or not I can find a formula that can be mixed with modern material.

swalcon, the only reason I was planning on single stage instead of base clear was to cut down on the number of coats of material I have to apply. By the time I finished spraying base and clear on my Hawk, I needed someone to carry my right arm around for a couple days because I couldn't lift it anymore.
          Wayne
          "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

Check with TCP. I will bet they have Maui Blue. They have acrylic enamel, acrylic lacquer, as well as urethane.
            78 Avanti RQB 2792
            64 Avanti R1 R5408
            63 Avanti R1 R4551
            63 Avanti R1 R2281
            62 GT Hawk V15949
            56 GH 6032504
            56 GH 6032588
            55 Speedster 7160047
            55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Wdills I hear you that's why I try to stay away from completes as much as possible at my age. Just turned 70 and goal is 5 more years than quit if I last that long. Not sure what Maui Blue looks like but just got a blue for a 53 in Acrylic enamel to paint a trunk. My paint guy did a read out on it and tinted to match. Real close so will work as I intend to paint everything from the back glass to the bumper and up to the top molding on the rear fenders.

Comment

Working...
              X