Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'63-'66 Lark VI Rear Drum Specs

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Brakes: '63-'66 Lark VI Rear Drum Specs

    For months I've been trying to find a functional equivalant drum to replace some Kelsey-Hayes (Canada) drums off a straight axle removed from a '66-'68 IH Scout RWD Postal Vehicle. I recenlty learned that '63-'66 Lark VI had 9" x 2" rear drums with 5 on 4.5 lug pattern which is what I need......BUT......there are other dimensional aspects which must be considered as well so I'm soliciting SDC assistance.

    For clarity I've included some pics of the drums I'm trying to replace.
    > As mentioned they are 9"x 2" with 5 on 4.5 LP
    > Non Hubcentric - Lug hole dia is .625 to accept portion of knurled stud protruding from hub mating surface
    > Hub hole dia = 2.813
    > Face to face overall thickness = 2.875
    > Wheel mounting surface is located at max thickness - Not raised or indented
    > Grooved to accept backing plate lip

    If anyone has a 9" Lark drum laying around I would appreciate a few measurements and perhaps some pics.
    Thank you

  • #2
    Those have HUGE Center holes in them larger than Stude. are they for a Flanged Axle?

    Maybe you could hog out the Stude. Center Hole, the Stude. drums were Stud centered.

    The 1954 to early 1965 Stude. Sixes have 9 Inch rear Drums for Tapered Axles, the Late '65 to '66 are for Flanged Axles, center holes got larger.

    It is hard for Stude. owners to show you a DRUM only, as most of our's are Hub Drum Assy's.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

    Comment


    • #3
      You would probably be better served by going to a Scout parts vendor such as...............https://scoutparts.com/2017_Scoutpar...Catalog/p14072
      "Burning Bridges...Lost Forevermore"......

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        Those have HUGE Center holes in them larger than Stude. are they for a Flanged Axle?

        Maybe you could hog out the Stude. Center Hole, the Stude. drums were Stud centered.

        The 1954 to early 1965 Stude. Sixes have 9 Inch rear Drums for Tapered Axles, the Late '65 to '66 are for Flanged Axles, center holes got larger.

        It is hard for Stude. owners to show you a DRUM only, as most of our's are Hub Drum Assy's.
        Thanks for your response. The drum mates to a hub and then mounts to a spindle using common TIMKEN bearings/races. I'm a Machinist by trade so I like your idea of enlarging the hub hole if required. As stated my hub hole diameter is 2.813. Do you know what the Lark hole measures?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
          You would probably be better served by going to a Scout parts vendor such as...............https://scoutparts.com/2017_Scoutpar...Catalog/p14072
          Thanks Dwain............Been there done that.......the Scout Sites/Forums think the only Scout ever made was a 4x4. So hoping a Lark VI rear drum will work.

          Comment


          • #6
            BTW, I hope members of this Forum don't think I'm a IH Scout guy. The straight axle is going into another '41 Stude Coupe Gasser build I'm doing. I own (2) 3G-Q's and an M15A-20 so don't fret.......

            Comment


            • #7
              Stay far away from Scoutparts.com.
              You want to be on the Planet!

              http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/index.php
              '64 R2 back on da road again

              Comment


              • #8
                Changing the theme of the thread slightly - but related, are the Lark 6 cylinder rear drums still around? I have heard for a few years that they are NLA items. Would be interested to know as I am sure I will have to eventually replace mine.
                Mark Hayden
                '66 Commander
                Zone Coordinator
                Pacific Can-Am Zone

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Bills R2 View Post
                  Stay far away from Scoutparts.com.
                  You want to be on the Planet!

                  http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/index.php
                  Thanks for the tip

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I have a reference book which shows brake drums by ID and bolt pattern. I could give you some part numbers and you could go to your local FLAPS, have them pull the drums and measure the hub ID as well as the thickness. I used this reference when I converted my M16 to front disk brakes.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Mark57 View Post
                      Changing the theme of the thread slightly - but related, are the Lark 6 cylinder rear drums still around? I have heard for a few years that they are NLA items. Would be interested to know as I am sure I will have to eventually replace mine.
                      I've been told no aftermarket 9" x 2" drums are being produced hence my dilemma

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Neal in NM View Post
                        I have a reference book which shows brake drums by ID and bolt pattern. I could give you some part numbers and you could go to your local FLAPS, have them pull the drums and measure the hub ID as well as the thickness. I used this reference when I converted my M16 to front disk brakes.
                        That would be excellent and very much appreciated. Thank you

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          #3520, 3534, 8172, 8173, 8834, 8835, 8862, 8952, 8968, 8984, 8991, 35013, 35016, 35038, 80002, 80031, 80036.

                          some of these are finned. I don’t have time right now to separate them out. Happy hunting!! Neal

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Neal in NM View Post
                            #3520, 3534, 8172, 8173, 8834, 8835, 8862, 8952, 8968, 8984, 8991, 35013, 35016, 35038, 80002, 80031, 80036.

                            some of these are finned. I don’t have time right now to separate them out. Happy hunting!! Neal
                            Thank you Neal for taking the time to assist another car guy. Unfortunately we don't see much of this level of car guy to car guy assistance in today's society. Thanks again.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              8952, 8968, 8991, these are finned

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X