Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Installing 60 studabaker t85 R11 OD behind SBC

Transmission install T85 OD to 57chev

​​​​​​​Looking for T85 R11 to install into 57 Chev with SBC and keep three on the tree . Have eye on t85 with small Ford bellhousing pattern 10 spline input. Long large pilot nose from 60 Stude ? And yoke on tail . What do I need to do to make this install work . Have researched wiring that’s good . Now the mechanical . Need bellhousing adapter machine input can I make one piece driveshaft with slip yoke at one end ? Read lots on this overdrive and feel this would be awesome to drive and fitswith year of car . Love to fab and wire . Have time to get the right pieces . Right now there is a three 3 spd full syncro Sag box hooked up to the column . Want more gear on the Highway and more fun driving .

​​​​​​​thanks K

First, I'm a guy who went to the trouble of installing a '59 Studebaker truck Borg-Warner T89 overdrive behind the Packard V8 in my '55 Stude E12, so I love those trannies, but they bolt up to the Packard with a bit of machine work on the input shaft. The '56J T85 transmission would have been a bolt-in, but I wanted the truck gear spread.

Having said all that, I still can't come up with a good reason to go to all the trouble and work to put a Ford pattern T85 behind a SBC in a '57 Chev. Chevrolet did all the engineering for you and there exists the 1957 Saginaw 3-speed overdrive which bolts in. There also exists the even better later Saginaw overdrive with synchro first gear which is also a bolt-in.

Once again, your money, your build, your decision, and we'll help you get there, but help us understand why the more difficult to install transmission is the way to go

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

There are also modern five-speeds that will bolt up to an SBC.
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post
        There are also modern five-speeds that will bolt up to an SBC.
        Gord, the OP says his goal is
        keep three on the tree . . . . . fits with year of car.
        Just shows no two people experience the car world in the same way. JMHO, but there's no such thing as a good column shift When getting one, a floor shift conversion is my first order of business.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Working...
        X