NOS Auto Transmission Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: NOS Auto Transmission Install

I purchased a NOS Automatic Transmission from Studebaker International some time ago and I am getting ready to install it. (A 66 Cruiser with a 194 six).

Since it obviously set on a shelf somewhere for a very long time, I ordered new seals for the drive shaft and front pump. I also ordered a pan gasket to take a look inside before it goes in.

Is there anything else I should do to the transmission before I install it? Should I have a transmission shop look at it first?

I would think it would be ready to go with just the new seals. But, I have learned it is always wise to seek wisdom & patience to avoid mistakes.

Has anyone else done this?

Thanks in advance!
    Rhys Arthur
    49 2R5
    66 Cruiser
    66 Commander
    84 Avanti

Hi I would do what you are doing and maybe add a can of seal conditioner. Dont forget to set the pressure on the trans , That is done with the cable that runs from the trans to the engine. The procedure is in the shop manual. And after you drive it for a few miles adjust the bands. Ed

Comment

You will learn a lot about it's condition when you pull the Pan, a visual inspection looking for Damage, rust or contamination should do it, without a Non-Stude knowledgeable Transmission Shop messing with it to take your $.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

First and foremost, take it to a shop and have them take it apart and thoroughly clean every component. If you have the know how, do it yourself. Trust me, after sitting in building 53/58, then the old engineering building and who knows where else for the last 50, or so years, the preservative lubricant has jelled and hardened. While it is apart, replace all o-rings, seals and gaskets. Pay particular attention to the valve body and pressure regulator.

I've sold 6 NOS transmissions and numerous components within the last 20 years and have given this advice to each of the buyers. Several disregarded the advice and found out the hard way.

As Ed pointed out, once it is installed, then the adjustments begin.

Bo
        Last edited by Bo Markham; 04-02-2020, 02:57 AM.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses.

I had a transmission shop go over the unit that currently in the car when I restored it. The unit works fine, but they failed to see that the shifter linkage shaft severely wore the case. Now, when it sits, the trans fluid leaks out of the shaft. I have removed the shaft an tried to install a larger o-ring, but the case is obviously damaged. There is no room to drill/oversize the shaft hole with the unit in the car. Hence, the replacement unit.

But, I will look for another shop that is WILLING to take a look at it.

I appreciate all the help!
          Rhys Arthur
          49 2R5
          66 Cruiser
          66 Commander
          84 Avanti

Comment

Depending on how fast you want results, you could take the old one out and send it down to us. I think we can fix the leak problem. Or, If you don't want to mess with the old one and you can't find a shop that will attend to the replacement, put it on a pallet and send it down to us via Fastenal. Or, send them both. We have the experience and would be happy to fix the one and prep the other for you.

Bo

Comment

Bo: Thanks! I may have to do just that.

I called a couple shops around Maryland/DC and no one will touch the NOS Transmission. One guy said, "not with a ten foot pole." When I inquired why, he said it was "impossible" to get fresh seals and gaskets. Guess he rather sell "engine flushes" to single mom's.

It is sort of frightening to see "we only replace transmissions - we don't work on them" mentality nowadays. Everything is disposable.

I am going to take the pan off and report back.

Stay tuned!
              Rhys Arthur
              49 2R5
              66 Cruiser
              66 Commander
              84 Avanti

Comment

Hi Rhys- Just for your info's sake....
                http://studebakerflightomatic.blogspot.com
                I remember waaaay back in 1976 I did a partial disassembly of a Flightomatic I had as part of a bunch of spare parts- just to gain some insight. I had the commonsense to dip the valve bodies in Transmission fluid back then.
                I put together the Blog in more recent times with the transmission for my '61 Hawk. I have not finalized the Blog so I retrieved the spare 'tranny of 1977' only lately to obtain more photos and check the procedure. I was pretty amazed to see these valves appear absolutely pristine. That's the good news. Your NOS tranny's valves will likely be in good order. The seals will likely be shrunken and leak-prone, so go get a kit and have at it.
                Steve Winzar

Comment

Steve - I removed the Transmission Pan yesterday. I was surprised that was about a quart of ATF in it. The oil was really thick and smelled bad. It turned in a hard varnish on the bottom of the pan and on the filter pick-up. So, opening this up was WISE. It would have been a disaster if I hadn't.

I am taking everyone's advise and getting a seal kit. Those o-rings are 55 years old!

I will find someone to help me put the new seals in. That will probably be the most difficult part, but I know there is always help here. It is appreciated!

Thanks! I will post my progress
                  Rhys Arthur
                  49 2R5
                  66 Cruiser
                  66 Commander
                  84 Avanti

Comment

Be vewy, vewy, vewy careful when taking the different assemblies apart. There are little springs with ball bearings in them and they go zoooooooooom when you take them out............

Be vewy, vewy, vewy careful not to nick any of the O-rings when you install them......

Can not help with these long distance.....

Bo

Comment

I have a Powershift in my 64 Hawk. Can anyone tell me why on Earth Studebaker designed these 3 speed transmissions to have a 2nd gear start in drive? That makes these cars a slug of the line and seems to put ondue stress on the engine and transmission.

Comment

Ladies in the early 50's insisted on a smooth shifting, quiet ride. The only way to do that is to start off slow and easy in 2d gear. No undue stress on anything, except for a lead footed driver wanting Roam, Roam, Roam!!!!!!

Of course, that sort has the option of an early stude with 1st gear start, or buying a 1st gear start valve body and doing a little modification to a late transmission to make it 1st gear start.

Power shift in my 64 R2 avanti has eaten many a corvette with very little slug. Course, I like to manually shift from low to 3d......

Bo

Comment

I've heard that it was a management decision to choose second gear start. I think that I remember hearing that they were afraid of the cost of having to deal with dissatisfied owners, because of the harshness of the shifts. Remember these were not kids that were buying these cars.

Comment

So there I was in Baltimore traffic, three abreast on Pratt St. in my 53 Commander sedan going through all the lights. This car is dead stock and starts in 2nd. Uh, it wasn't remotely a problem to take off as fast as everyone else in normal traffic. Similar scenarios have played out in my 56 President. Of course, both of those cars have 3.54 rears; a 3.07 would feel quite different. What I do know is that on wet roads the long wheelbase Pres spins tires very easily especially making a turn from a stop onto a main road so, I really don't want it to start in first. Need to remember that these were real cars before they were hobby cars and people bought most of them, especially if they bought an automatic, to get where they were going comfortably without a lot of fuss.

Comment

The story I heard was that first gear start was noisy while it was still in first gear. Customers complained that something was wrong with their transmission.
                              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                              10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                              10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                              56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                              60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Working...
                              X