No announcement yet.

V-8 Engine valve seal job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have never done this with the heads on the engine, why would you not perform this with the piston at top dead center? I have seen it done with compressed air.

Comment

Altair, that is true, IF... the piston didn't fly down as soon as the air was introduced like mine did....twice... ! I realize I probably must not have had it exactly on TDC for it to do that, but the way I have done it is an absolute way of not dropping the valve into the cylinder if the piston does go down from being accidentally bumped. Also, I took my time between doing other things, did not have to have the compressor running, ate lunch while the valves in one cylinder had no springs or keepers on them and have LOTS of time. Just a choice really, but I like absolutes, and this way was. I am NOT prepared or care to take a head off to retrieve a valve from doing an "old man slip-up", ha !. Done it like this several times before when we were too poor to have a compressor or lived in places with no garage. PLUS, saw the mechanics at the Studebaker dealer my Dad worked at in the 50s and thought it was so cool !
      Last edited by j.byrd; 04-03-2020, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Am I missing something here? Once the rocker shafts are removed and compressed air is put into a cylinder, who cares where the piston is. The valves are seated and even with a small compressor the valves are held in with at least 60 PSI. Why go through all that unnecessary and time consuming work?

Comment

I think he explained that in his last post. The way he is doing it is working well for him, with NO chance of dropping a valve. J.byrd, keep up the good work. Wish I were in Hawaii helping you out with this job.

Comment

tsenecal, our location is part of the pleasure of this fun "job" for sure... Got the passenger side all finished yesterday, will start on the drivers side today between my other "work at home" wife's honey-dos ! The last one was "can you come in here and help me catch this Gecko ?" It has had two crumbled up seals so far, and the other ones seem to be made out of stone... I mean Lava, ha !

fastjohnll, not "unnecessary and time consuming" if you are enjoying it sir. I did explain part of my "reasons" tho', as tsenecal said.

Comment

If it were me...

I would have simply bit the bullet and pulled the heads. It's really not that big of a deal and would have immediately revealed the condition of the cylinders, rings, and facilitated a simple refresh of the heads by removing all of the components allowed, (if all appeared OK), lapping the valves along with the easy replacement of the valve seals. All of this could be accomplished in an afternoon including reassembly.

OTOH, if the cylinder had a substantial ridge, well you would know where you stood as more major work would be indicated.

But that's just me... Your mileage could vary.

Comment

Thanks GrumpyOne, that is exactly what I did on the last engine I was suspicious of while still living on the mainland......BUT........ This engine has great and consistent compression, runs absolutely perfect, and the machine shops over here are almost non-existent. My pal with a 66 GTO waited a bit over 2 years for the ONE we have here in town to finish his engine, the one or two he checked with over in Hilo (near 90 miles) said they'd rather not fool with it, and shipping costs to Hawaii normally are more than the item being shipped. Running good anyway and then the logistics pretty much dictate we do things a bit different than we like sometimes. There is no "normal" junk yards either, old cars are pretty much gone in the salt air unless babied, etc., etc. Besides, if that motor comes out, then the tranny and rear end are gona' come out, it'll get a much healthier ( Horsepower guy here), then it's gona' get a different paint job..... see ? A little bit of fun work and a 16 dollar ( I think ) box of valve seals sounds pretty good after all, right ? ha ! Thanks for your comment tho', I really love to hear everyone's opinion, that's the way I've got some great ideas thru the years !

Comment

Originally posted by j.byrd View Post
                  A little bit of fun work and a 16 dollar ( I think ) box of valve seals sounds pretty good after all, right ? ha !
                  Wish I'd known you needed them. We've got boxes of unused umbrella seals which come in the gasket set. We cut for positive seals on all our heads. You could have had them for postage. Doesn't that just make your day?

jack vines

PackardV8

Comment

Hey, thanks for that Jack, now I'll sull up the rest of the day, ha ha !

Comment

Working...
                    X