brake rotors and finned drums minimum size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: brake rotors and finned drums minimum size

What is the minimum requirement thickness of both the rotors and finned 11" brake drums. I have recently got an ammco brake lathe and can not find this as there is not any on the castings.The rotors are off an avanti and the drums are hawk.Thank You, Don

I believe, somewhere it is written, that .330 is the minimum thickness. My 2 original rotors have never been turned ( 145K miles) and they measure .333 from the original .375 (3/8").

There is a written spec ( even on the drum, I've seen), however the drums also have a bevel on the inside diameter of the wear surface. As the wear surface gets maintained by turning the drum, the bevel will go away and once gone is the point where you trash the drum. Continued use will only cause warpage and a lot of grief. (I think the spec says .060 oversize is minimum)
    Last edited by 64V-K7; 04-01-2020, 06:22 AM.
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I am thinking some 10" drums have a stencil in the outer edge that says 10.090 is max. Will look later while in the garage, but pretty sure it's .090" over.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
        I am thinking some 10" drums have a stencil in the outer edge that says 10.090 is max. Will look later while in the garage, but pretty sure it's .090" over.
        You are probably right.... 060 upside down is 090...
        64 GT Hawk (K7)
        1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by DMB-8 View Post
          What is the minimum requirement thickness of both the rotors and finned 11" brake drums. I have recently got an ammco brake lathe and can not find this as there is not any on the castings.The rotors are off an avanti and the drums are hawk.Thank You, Don
          Don't have the answer. Always wanted an Ammco brake lathe. Did you get the small arbor with it for the rear drums?
          sigpic
          Claude Chmielewski
          Studeski
          http://www.studeski.com
          Fillmore, Wisconsin
          47 M-16 Truck
          53 Commander Regal HT
          53 2R5
          60 Lark VIII Convertible
          60 5E7 Champ pickup
          62 5E7 Champ no box
          62 GT Hawk 4 speed
          63 Lark VI parts car
          63 GT Hawk R2 4 speed
          64 Commander Wagonaire
          64 Daytona Convertible
          50 Champion Regal (parts car)
          36 Dictator
          36 Dictator in pieces

Comment

I did not get a small arbor for the rear brakes.I wondered how to mount them now I understand.Thank You,Don

Comment

The shop that I worked in for a few years had an older Ammco. He could also reface flywheels, with a grinder that attached to the same arm as the cutting tool. The grinder turned the opposite direction as the flywheel, and did a beautiful job.

Comment

The Arbor you need was also used on VW's, less than 1 Inch.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                X