Attempted first start after 21 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Attempted first start after 21 years

New gas tank, fuel lines and hoses. Carb and fuel pump rebuilt, new fuel pipes. (53 Starliner 232). No fuel to the pump bowl yet after several attempts. Bummer, thought I’d hear it run today. Oh, I put five gallons of gas in it.
    Last edited by tim333; 04-01-2020, 12:25 AM.

Sounds like you need to "Prime" the fuel system. disconnect the fuel line at the carb, using a bit of fuel hose put it into the filler neck and using lung power pressurize the tank till fuel is forced through the pump. seal the hose with a rag wrapped round the filler neck and fuel hose. once you have fuel to the pump you should be OK. Luck Doofus

Comment

Originally posted by tim333 View Post
      New gas tank, fuel lines and hoses. Carb and fuel pump rebuilt, new fuel pipes. (53 Starliner 232). No fuel to the pump bowl yet after several attempts. Bummer, thought I’d hear it run today. Oh, I put five gallons of gas in it.
      Did you check that all the steel lines were clear before you installed them? Around here if you leave anything with a hole in it for a few days, a dirt dauber will build a nest in it.
      Jerry Forrester
      Forrester's Chrome
      Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

I always dump a quart of ATF down the carburetor and hand turn the motor over several times( with the plugs out) to lubricate the valve train and rings. It's kind of (no a lot) smelly, messy from pouring out the spark plug holes and smoky on fire up but I have never had a failure. It's worth using a can of Brakleen to wash off the residue.
        Luck,
        Bill

Comment

Sometimes the needle gets stuck in carbs if rebuilt and turned upside down. See if you can blow in the carb, by having the hose loose and blowing with your mouth, If no air go, bump near the needle and seat with handle end of screwdriver..

Comment

I don't think fuel pumps need priming I have tested them with a 10 foot lift and about 5-6 pumps on the actuator and fuel was flowing liberally. If there is air in the system the pump will displace it up through the fuel line to the carb and out the vents on top of the carb. Filling the lines may help but not necessary, the fuel will eventually make it up there. I would suggest do not over heat the starter and let it cool between intervals. It shouldn't take more than 30 seconds but if it does let the starter cool. It will save some time if you introduce some fuel directly into the carb.

Comment

Here’s what I did today. I disconnected the line at the carb, hooked up a vacuum pump to no avail. Then I disconnected the flex line before the pump and hooked up the vacuum pump to the hard line from the tank, still not holding vacuum. I then blew into the hard line and heard bubbling from the tank. A few seconds later I heard dripping on the floor and gas was leaking from the first junction of flared hard lines downstream. I replaced the flared junction with a compression fitting junction, leak stopped. Tried cranking the engine but still no gas in the pump bowl. I then put a hose in the tank and starting blowing, periodically checking the pump but still no gas. I disconnected the line at the carb again with the intent on using the hand vacuum pump again when I noticed about 1/4 inch of gas in the bowl. I then connected the line at the carb again and tried cranking, no more gas came to the bowl. The battery was a little tired so I stopped working to charge the battery. I’ll have another go at it tomorrow.

Comment

It is time to find out if the problem is in the Engine compartment or further back.

If you do not already have a Hose Nipple Brass fitting at the Fuel Pump inlet install one, so you can connect a 5/16" Fuel Hose maybe 2 to 3 Ft. to a 1 Gal. Gas Can with fresh fuel.
                Then you will know if it runs by eliminating the Lines and Tank that the issue is there, not under the Hood.

I usually put the Can on the ground below the front of the engine to avoid any spilling fuel, sparks, or hitting the Fan etc. while running the Engine.

All kinds of odd issues have been reported here like rags in the Tank, pin holes in the lines under the clamps, wrong Gas Caps, issues with the pickup tube in the tank, plugged with Tank Liner, kinked or crushed lines, you name it.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I’ll try that Rich. Everything is new, wish it fired up as quick as the 63 R2 Hawk I did all the same work to.

Comment

Looks pretty if it will only start
                    Attached Files

Comment

It's a work of art, Tim!
                      You did put fresh oil in, right?

Comment

Originally posted by tim333 View Post
                        Looks pretty if it will only start
                        That's Beautiful Tim, but you know what immediately jumped out at me that needs fixing?

I's those pesky Rubber insulators on the Hood Stabilizer Rod, that have moved AWAY from the two "Bumps" in the firewall that they are SUPPOSED" to be touching!

You MAY have to Glue them.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Fresh oil yes! When I had the valve covers off it was very clean under there. I put my finger in the oil pan drain hole, clean and no sludge. Car shows 30,600 miles, have a repair receipt from 1997 showing 27,000.

Good eye Rich!

New fuel pump was bad, swapped it out today. Bowl filled up in 30 seconds, almost started! I’ll be back at it tomorrow.

Comment

Years ago I bought a John Deere "G" The engine was stuck so my friend Jim and I took out the plugs and filled up the cylinders which are the size of 3 pound coffee cans-with atf and diesel fuel and let it set a couple weeks after which it was still pretty stuck. After various unsuccessful attempts to turn it over Jim chained it to his "60" and we took off round and round his yard. We were about to give up when there was a very loud (very loud) SNAP and all that oil shot out of the spark plug holes with the force of a fire hose and sprayed every building on the farmsite.

Comment

Working...
                            X