Oil filter, 1951 Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Oil filter, 1951 Champion

I read on several posts that the high pressure hose coming from a oil filter on a 51 Champion has a small opening to prevent a drop in oil pressure. Does anyone know the size of the fitting. I guess the smaller size restricts oil flow. Is it an item that be bought? Thanks for any help you can provide.

The restricted fitting should be on the oil pump body where the filter pressure pipe originates. Check and see if it's there. The orifice is about .046". SI had these last time I checked.
    "Burning Bridges...Lost Forevermore"......

Comment

The Hose coming FROM the Oil Filter is the Low Pressure (Return) Hose, the Higher pressure one is the Input Hose from the Oil passage in the Block or Oil pump. The Restrictor Fitting or Oriface should be in the Filter INLET.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I don't know the answer to your question but recalled having a Fram oil filter installation kit and took a look. I should caution it is for 1939 to 1946 Champions and in checking the parts numbers should work up to 1950 Champions. The oil inlet hose (flexible) was changed from 515710 to 521902 in 1951 so I don't know if it was still done the same way but in the earlier Champs the restrictor was built into the end of the inlet hose that screwed into the oil galley in the block (location "F" in the drawing below). I see that Steven Allens has the later hose (521902) so they may be able to answer the question about it having the restrictor in the inlet hose or not. Attached are some photos of the earlier kit.

Click image for larger version  Name:	OIl Filter Kit.jpg Views:	0 Size:	74.3 KB ID:	1827884

Click image for larger version  Name:	Oil Filter Kit1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	97.4 KB ID:	1827885

Click image for larger version  Name:	Oil Filter Kit2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	34.7 KB ID:	1827886

Click image for larger version  Name:	Oil Filter Kit3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	22.8 KB ID:	1827887
        Dan Peterson
        Montpelier, VT
        1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
        1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Working...
        X