Time for Refill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Time for Refill

With all the other fluids now renewed in this new-to-me ‘62 Champ, I had overlooked the Ross steering box. It turns out that it was likely overlooked for a very long time....that fill plug was immovably frozen.

There is very tight access afforded by the 289 and the inner fender. A few shots of penetrating oil, soft blows with a hammer and long extension and then waiting...

Luckily my plug (and likely most everyone else’s) is a 3/8” square head. The discovery here was turning the long extension and 3/8”-3/8” swivel upside down to grip the square into the recess of the swivel, then use a medium crescent to turn the whole affair. With a satisfying “click” the plug broke loose.

Despite the Champ steering having been smooth and tight, the box still needed 10 x 10cc syringes of 80w90 to top up. A little Teflon tape on the plug threads and I can hopefully leave this job for another 5 years...

Studebaker International sells the correct grease for the Ross steering box.
    Page 268

Comment

Thanks for that - hadn’t known to use anything other than medium gear oil.

Appreciate the heads up on “semi-fluid” grease!

Comment

Davis,
        As per someone on this forum, I used in my '59 Lark box, Lucas Gear and Chain oil. It works superbly well.
        Luck,
        Bill

Comment

OK Dave, so Now you have to explain what those 2 Gray Hoses? are doing near the Steering Gear?

The Heater Hoses should be on the RIGHT side, unless this is a Right Hand Drive Truck!
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Those are spark plug cables - I was pretty zoomed in.

Comment

Working...
            X