Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Painting rust in crease

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Body / Glass: Painting rust in crease

    On the nose piece of Champs, there is a crease running along it, that seems impossible to wire brush or sand out. I've been using KBS to paint the frame, and it says it can paint over rust with it's three part system. Has anyone tried this? Or is there a better method?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	91556995_2790088774407595_3060246047591759872_o - Edited.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	1827457
    The crease that's hard to get to is the light colored rust area, runs couple feet.
    Mike and Dawn

    '61 Champ

  • #2
    I am not familiar with KBS brand, but back in the late 1970s one product we sold in my industrial supply business was Rustoleum industrial coatings. Their factory rep was the first to introduce me to a "Rust Conversion" chemical treatment. Shortly thereafter, the Loctite rep showed up with a similar product. I did some experimenting on some of my own stuff with mixed results. As time progressed, others have offered similar products and I believe performance has improved since then. What the chemical does is to chemically combine with rust to form a polymer compound. (I'm not a chemist and certainly will not pretend to understand the intricate details) Once the compound cures, it seals and isolates the substrate from oxygen which is the catalyst required for iron oxide (rust) to exist.

    So, without doing research, I'm concluding that this is KBS' version of a rust converter/inhibitor. My recommendation would be to meticulously follow their application instructions. Especially, application times, cleaning/rinsing and drying (curing) times. They appear to be a very reputable company and wouldn't want to risk their credibility on an untried, and untested product.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

    SDC member since 1975

    Comment


    • #3
      That appears to be a vertical area. Seal off the ends of the channel with dum-dum and fill the trough with Coke-Cola. After a few hours, it will be clean..
      64 GT Hawk (K7)
      1970 Avanti (R3)

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by jclary View Post
        What the chemical does is to chemically combine with rust to form a polymer compound. (I'm not a chemist and certainly will not pretend to understand the intricate details) Once the compound cures, it seals and isolates the substrate from oxygen which is the catalyst required for iron oxide (rust) to exist.
        Thanks for the information, much appreciated.
        Mike
        Mike and Dawn

        '61 Champ

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
          That appears to be a vertical area. Seal off the ends of the channel with dum-dum and fill the trough with Coke-Cola. After a few hours, it will be clean..
          Thanks for the tip. The crease is vertical, and out of the pickup now, so would be easy to try.
          Mike
          Mike and Dawn

          '61 Champ

          Comment


          • #6
            How 'bout sandblasting?

            Comment


            • #7
              My first recommendation is sandblast and epoxy prime. If you can't do that and it is just light surface rust which is what it appears to be in the photo, you can paint it with POR-15.
              Wayne
              "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

              sigpic‚Äč

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by rbisacca View Post
                How 'bout sandblasting?
                That might work. I don't have sandblasting abilities, but maybe someone I know does.
                Mike and Dawn

                '61 Champ

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by wdills View Post
                  My first recommendation is sandblast and epoxy prime. If you can't do that and it is just light surface rust which is what it appears to be in the photo, you can paint it with POR-15.
                  I might see if someone I know has a sandblaster. Thanks.
                  Mike and Dawn

                  '61 Champ

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X