X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jclary
    replied
    Originally posted by doofus View Post
    When i run into this problem i use JB weld to hold holder in place. a little on "Stud", press on holder and add a bit more. don't be to generous. the repair will only last for years. an old time repair shop suggested this and it works! Luck Doofus
    Thanks for that answer. The things we learn on this forum. I have never owned a Studebaker new enough to have a factory alternator. The one I own with an alternator is my 60 Lark that has been converted to a one-wire GM alternator.

So, what we have here is not the holder that has failed, but the holder's "holder?" In all the years I have had vehicles with an alternator, they have been so trouble-free that when one has had a (rare) failure...I simply bought a replacement, and never gave it much thought. Trying to keep an early one original to a vintage collector car has not been a problem I have faced. JB Weld is an amazing product and has great uses only limited by the extent of your imagination. I suppose that the main concern about this particular repair would be to clean the part and area for maximum adhesion and not to be so sloppy to interfere with the reinstallation or operation of the brush. Thanks again for that answer, for me, it takes care of that "You learn something every day," thing.

Leave a comment:

• doofus
    replied
    When i run into this problem i use JB weld to hold holder in place. a little on "Stud", press on holder and add a bit more. don't be to generous. the repair will only last for years. an old time repair shop suggested this and it works! Luck Doofus

Leave a comment:

• StudeMichael
    started a topic ALE 5003 Alternator Brush Holder

ALE 5003 Alternator Brush Holder

In the Avanti Prestolite Alternator there is a brush holder that is held in by bakelite plastic. I have not been able to find a repair kit for this piece. Does anyone know where I could find one?
Working...
X