Torque converter interchange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Torque converter interchange

The ring gear on my 63 V8 automatic has a broken tooth. I have a converter from a 66 V8 car and was wondering if it is a possible replacement for the 63? I don’t have a 66 parts manual to check and see if the part numbers are the same. I could compare dimensions but I am may miss something and cause more work or damage. Does anyone know if this swap is possible? The starter is being fixed as it had drive gear damage. Ken

No, they are not interchangable. The tooth count on the starter ring is different and I think the '66 is larger in diameter too. Probably best to send your '63 converter to a reputable rebuilder who is familiar with these converters.
    "Burning Bridges...Lost Forevermore"......

Comment

They are completely Different, the GM Engine Converter has NO attached Ring Gear or Teeth!
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Oops, that's right
        "Burning Bridges...Lost Forevermore"......

Comment

It may be cheaper just to buy another TC from one of our vendors.

Comment

Or if performance is your bag, I have a heavily modified Pinto torque converter which gives a great 3000 rpm launch with 3:73 gears in my GT Hawk.

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
              Or if performance is your bag, I have a heavily modified Pinto torque converter which gives a great 3000 rpm launch with 3:73 gears in my GT Hawk.
              A WHAT? Wouldn't it be a whole LOT simpler and cheaper, to just Modify the stall speed on a Studebaker Torque Converter?
              I would not think a Pinto would even HAVE a Borg Warner Transmission.
              StudeRich

Comment

I am confused now as it is a 66 transmission from very low mileage but very rusty Commander. It is water cooled and has the cable for throttle pressure. I took it out of the car 47 years ago. It has been sitting in the garage since. There is no bell housing but there has been a converter on the front and a yoke on the rear to keep it sealed up. Anyway the converter must have come from some other car as it has a ring gear on it. I just don’t remember having another converter and assumed it was a 66 converter. It may be one that can be serviced and returned to use. Ken

Comment

Possible SI would have a new ring gear. Part # 1539744. A trans shop can change it. I have changed them. Just need a die grinder with a cut off wheel and a welder.

Comment

Originally posted by jd-stude View Post
                    I am confused now as it is a 66 transmission from very low mileage but very rusty Commander. It is water cooled and has the cable for throttle pressure. /Cut/ Anyway the converter must have come from some other car as it has a ring gear on it. I just don’t remember having another converter and assumed it was a 66 converter. It may be one that can be serviced and returned to use. Ken
                    Was your " '66 Ring Gear" Welded on or Screwed on? All GM Engines use a Plate called a "Flex Plate" that is a "Ring Gear" but it Bolts on.
                    StudeRich

Comment

I had the ring gear changed on a 1960 FlightOMatic. As mentioned above, Judith cut the old welds and weld the new one on, but I had it done by the pros in he’s that they would have a way to keep it true before welding.

Comment

Rich,
                        A WHAT? Wouldn't it be a whole LOT simpler and cheaper, to just Modify the stall speed on a Studebaker Torque Converter?
                        I would not think a Pinto would even HAVE a Borg Warner Transmission.

As I stated "heavily modified".
                        Bill

Comment

Well Bill, in a GT Hawk I assumed a Stude. Engine, but if it's a Big Block 427 or some-such yes, ANYTHING goes.
                          If it IS a Modified Stude. Engine, my first thought still applies.
                          StudeRich

Comment

Working...
                          X