Late Champ "T" Cab "Studebaker" Grilles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Late Champ "T" Cab "Studebaker" Grilles

Do we Really have ANY proof that ANY of these "Studebaker" embossed Grilles actually WERE installed on Late '64 Champ Trucks?

Update: I just made an interesting discovery!

1655330X93 "T" Cab Grille (-White) is listed for 7E-T2-T4 (I am PRETTY Sure they Never build any T2 (Scotsman? Champs!)
    1655330W "T" Cab Grille (-Chrome) is listed for 7E-T6
    These have to be the Plain ones.

1962 Champs

AND:

1656610X93 "T" Cab Grille (-White) is listed for 8E-T2-T4
    1656610W "T" Cab Grille (-Chrome) is listed for 8E-T6
    These have to be the "Stamped" ones.

1963 Champs (And '64's)

But here is the weird part, this 7E-8E Catalog says it was Printed in Jan. 1963 Inside and Outside of the Cover about 7 Months BEFORE any Late 8E 1964 Trucks were built.
    So that tells us that they did know or had already ordered the Late Stude. Stamped Grilles before the '63 Run was finished and of course BEFORE the '64 Run as well!
    But it is questionable if any ever got installed.

Would they be Designing, Ordering and taking Delivery that Early for 1965 Production????

OR... would there be SUCH an Overbuy on Plain ones that never were Used up so that the Newer Stamped ones just were never needed or used?
    STILL, a Mystery!

Click image for larger version  Name:	64 Champ Grille.JPG Views:	0 Size:	87.5 KB ID:	1827028 I think I sold this perfect Painted NOS one on eBay, I just kept the Chrome one for my Champ.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 03-27-2020, 12:55 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Would probably show up somewhere if there were daily notations (or similar) on the production line - or something along those lines. Would be interesting to know one way or the other.

Photo is of the last 3/4 ton Champ that was built by Studebaker - no way to know if the grill is original to the truck - if it could only talk...

Comment

What a SHAME! That is just SO hard to look at Pat.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Not really proof, but the last Champ built had one. Richard M. Langworth's book;
        "Studebaker 1946-1966" states; "Some of the last Champs assembled did have the name Studebaker written along the bottom of the grille." Fred K. Fox has probably covered this, but I did not look it up.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          Do we Really have ANY proof that ANY of these "Studebaker" embossed Grilles actually WERE installed on Late '64 Champ Trucks?

Update: I just made an interesting discovery!

1655330X93 "T" Cab Grille (-White) is listed for 7E-T2-T4 (I am PRETTY Sure they Never build any T2 (Scotsman? Champs!)
          1655330W "T" Cab Grille (-Chrome) is listed for 7E-T6
          These have to be the Plain ones.

1962 Champs

AND:

1656610X93 "T" Cab Grille (-White) is listed for 8E-T2-T4
          1656610W "T" Cab Grille (-Chrome) is listed for 8E-T6
          These have to be the "Stamped" ones.

1963 Champs (And '64's)

But here is the weird part, this 7E-8E Catalog says it was Printed in Jan. 1963 Inside and Outside of the Cover about 7 Months BEFORE any Late 8E 1964 Trucks were built.
          So that tells us that they did know or had already ordered the Late Stude. Stamped Grilles before the '63 Run was finished and of course BEFORE the '64 Run as well!
          But it is questionable if any ever got installed.

Would they be Designing, Ordering and taking Delivery that Early for 1965 Production????

OR... would there be SUCH an Overbuy on Plain ones that never were Used up so that the Newer Stamped ones just were never needed or used?
          STILL, a Mystery!

Click image for larger version Name:	64 Champ Grille.JPG Views:	0 Size:	87.5 KB ID:	1827028 I think I sold this perfect Painted NOS one on eBay, I just kept the Chrome one for my Champ.
          You can't just go by the date on the cover. Studebaker issued several updates with revised pages for the 7E-8E parts book. The last one was issued in January 1964, and included the pages covering grilles. The bottom of that page should say "Revised 1-64". At one time, Newman & Altman had stacks of those revision packages for both cars and trucks for sale for a few dollars apiece. I bought several of each they had.
          Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
          X