Locating the Elusive "Hidden" serial number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 64studeavanti View Post
    On the Speedster frame I recently blasted, I could find no trace of a serial number. The frame was not that rusty, so I do not know why it did not show.
    Did you look for it before you blasted it? It is often stamped lightly, so blasting may have all but erased it. Still, technology exists to probably be able to read the number. It is used on firearms and other controlled items with stamped numbers, if you really wanted to, "investigate" your VIN.

Comment

The reason for stamping the serial number on the frame was to match the frame with the correct body on the assembly line at the body drop or at least verify.
      These numbers were sometimes stamped very lightly , depending on how tired the worker was.
      Cars assembled in overseas plants probably did not have this depending on if. are were shipped
      CKD (Completely knocked down)or assembled
      here or in Canada.
      I read somewhere that a lot of export cars came from Canada.

Comment

Thanks JoeHall. I scraped (very rusty) / sanded / steel wooled / rotary disk on drill and finally found the number. On my 1956 Power Hawk, the number is on the bottom of the rear frame cross member front flange (gas tank side), to the right of center. It was barely discernible. After more sanding with #220 grit, then applying a glass etching compound, waiting 15 minutes to work, then wiping off. The serial number was then reasonably legible.
        I sprayed the number with Clear enamel and it became more legible. It is now protected and visible. Many thanks to all SDC contributors.

Comment

Many years ago I did a "frame off" on my 2R5. Sandblasted entire frame. Don't recall any number.

Comment

Could have missed mine. I did wire brush and use sand paper and steel wool before blasting. Does not matter to me. If it still exists, it is covered by 2 coats of epoxy primer and 2 coats of urethane chassis black.

The body, serial, and engine numbers match. The title has the correct serial number.
            78 Avanti RQB 2792
            64 Avanti R1 R5408
            63 Avanti R1 R4551
            63 Avanti R1 R2281
            62 GT Hawk V15949
            56 GH 6032504
            56 GH 6032588
            55 Speedster 7160047
            55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Graepel View Post
              Thanks JoeHall. I scraped (very rusty) / sanded / steel wooled / rotary disk on drill and finally found the number. On my 1956 Power Hawk, the number is on the bottom of the rear frame cross member front flange (gas tank side), to the right of center. It was barely discernible. After more sanding with #220 grit, then applying a glass etching compound, waiting 15 minutes to work, then wiping off. The serial number was then reasonably legible.
              I sprayed the number with Clear enamel and it became more legible. It is now protected and visible. Many thanks to all SDC contributors.
              That number is for a 1956 Commander (correct for Power Hawk) assembled in South Bend.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The interesting thing about Studebaker Model Names is for the Most Part, they are all about the ENGINE!
                Mainly on '47 to '58 Year Models, and even to a lessor degree on '59 to '61 Lark VI and VIII's.

A "Champion" Model "G" is a 169 or 170 c.i.d. Six, that includes Pelham's, Flight Hawk's, '57 & '58 Silver Hawk 6's, Scotsman's and Conestoga's.

A "Commander" Model "B" ('51-'58) is a V8 that can be a 232, 224 or 259 so that would include Power Hawks, Conestoga's, Parkview's, Proventials, '53/'54 Land Cruisers. (Ignoring the Oddball '55 President 259's.)

A "President" Model "H" after the everything and Anything goes" 1955 Year, is a 289 V8, including: Sky Hawks, Pinehurst's, Broadmoor's, South Bend '57 & '58 Silver Hawk 8's, and '57 & '58 Golden Hawks.

In keeping with that System, the '56 Golden Hawk (partially a Packard, because of it's Engine) had to have it's Own Model Code: "56J".

Of course, there "May Be" some minor exceptions for a Limited number of Canadian and Export Cars.
                Last edited by StudeRich; 03-30-2020, 12:43 PM.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thanks for the replies on the trucks. The build sheet won’t help me either, as the engine is a later model, full flow 259. Serial number on engine is V581107, so guessing maybe a 64 vintage engine. My father in law had the truck for years and thought it had a transplanted 289, because it always had good power.

Comment

If it's a Full Flow, it HAS to be a 'Late '62 or '63 because '64's were Date (Alpha-Numeric) Coded, not a big deal since they are all the same.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
                      Thanks for the replies on the trucks. The build sheet won’t help me either, as the engine is a later model, full flow 259. Serial number on engine is V581107, so guessing maybe a 64 vintage engine. My father in law had the truck for years and thought it had a transplanted 289, because it always had good power.
                      That is a 259 V8 from a 1963 model car, not truck.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks for the information on the engine. Gary. It's nice to know what year it came from. The truck always ran great, and hauled cows and hay bales without a problem. My father in law passed away in 92, and the truck was sold. I bought it from that gentleman in December 2019, and it hasn't run since 94. It is ready for it's first startup this weekend. Have soaked the cylinders with Marvel Mystery oil, then changed the oil, and prelubed the engine. Planned on starting it last night, but the starter was BO. I took it off and cleaned the crud out, shined up the armature, and greased both end bushings. It now spins nicely on the bench, so should work fine. Wish me luck!

Comment

Working...
                        X