Battery caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Battery caps

Found a nifty way to update our 12V Group 24 and 27 batteries. Pry off those ugly rectangular covers (each hiding 3 cells) and replace them with caps and bases from a vendor like FlowSystems.

Available in a wide range of colors - and 100% functional as vents.

Why should all the MoPar/Delco/FoMoCo guys have all the cool tricks?

Looks like a neat idea...now the trick would be having an all black battery. I think someone makes a box cover to go over things like optima battery’s to make them look like old tar tops. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
      Looks like a neat idea...now the trick would be having an all black battery. I think someone makes a box cover to go over things like optima battery’s to make them look like old tar tops. Thanks.

Yep - mine is 100% black and free of an lettering. Small date label is all it has left: June 2019. All labels peeled off nicely.

I heard that the green-white Interstates are heading back to all-black, but most generics (like mine) are all made at only a few factories anyways and uses almost all the same cases.

Thx.

Comment

Originally posted by NCDave51 View Post
        Found a nifty way to update our 12V Group 24 and 27 batteries. Pry off those ugly rectangular covers (each hiding 3 cells) and replace them with caps and bases from a vendor like FlowSystems.

Available in a wide range of colors - and 100% functional as vents.

Why should all the MoPar/Delco/FoMoCo guys have all the cool tricks?
        It looks like a cool idea. However, the eBay auction says this:
        CAR BATTERIES?

Generally, Bayonet Style Vent Caps do not fit car starting batteries, marine batteries, 8D, 4D or 12V batteries that have vent caps in the form of a small rectangular plate that covers three vents holes. If you want to use these vent caps on any of these type of batteries, we do offer an adapter. However, this is not normally necessary. These vents fit almost all batteries manufactured in the US.

So does this say that it does not fit, but it does fit? Am I reading something wrong or contradictory here?

Here is the eBay auction:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Battery-Ven...4AAOSwT6pVgdvp

RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
        10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
        56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
        60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Looks like a typical Chinese to English POOR Translation. Makes 0 Sense!

The bottom view of the Caps looks like they twist to lock in, not just a Push Fit like all of the Batteries have today.

It does say "Does NOT Fit Car Batteries"! WHAT?
          Last edited by StudeRich; 03-28-2020, 11:13 AM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Nothing to do with China, here folks. Ease up.

Made in the USA. Yes they fit just fine - and yes, I used the adapters. They are intended for marine and golf cart batteries that often have bayonet bases as part of the case.

Modern “maintenance free” batteries have six 0.75” holes flush with the case - no bayonet bases, threads or anything like the old days. The adapters are 0.76” OD and push snugly into the holes.

Comment

Here's the manufacturers website. Has a lot more info than ebay. They appear to be a good solution.

https://www.flowsystemsusa.com/battery-caps.html and the adapters https://www.flowsystemsusa.com/Batte...V_Adapter.html

Comment

I bought the caps and the adapters. Haven't put them on the car yet, but they are a bit larger in diameter than the originals were for car batteries.
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Working...
                X