Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Floppy Mirror

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body: Floppy Mirror

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_75593.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	1826823 My drivers side mirror is floppy. The ball that goes into the glass area has no grab. Can this be fixed? How? I see no way to get to the ball and I suspect I’d crack the mirror.

thanks!

Click image for larger version  Name:	ECFFC810-3758-43F8-ABBB-2A2609298D5E.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	84.7 KB ID:	1826822
    1964 Studebaker GT Hawk
    1970 Jaguar E-Type 2+2
    2003 Ferrari 575 Maranello (3 Pedal)
    2007 Jaguar XK Convertible
    2011 Jaguar XJL 5.0 SC

I seem to recall 2-3 screws in the backside of the mirror, to adjust tightness of the ball and socket connection. But yours has no screws. Wonder if that's a difference between OEM and re-pop?

Comment

To fix it you have to carefully remove the glass, then remove the clip that holds the ball, drill a small hole in the mount and screw in a new spring clip that you have to make. You then glue the mirror back in place.
      Not for the feint of heart but do-able. You can always buy a new mirror from SI or a number of other vendors if that fails.

Comment

Originally posted by mapman View Post
        To fix it you have to carefully remove the glass, then remove the clip that holds the ball, drill a small hole in the mount and screw in a new spring clip that you have to make. You then glue the mirror back in place.
        Not for the feint of heart but do-able. You can always buy a new mirror from SI or a number of other vendors if that fails.
        Any idea which mirror this is from SI? They list a bunch. I think I will order a new one and then try and fix this one after the fact.
        1964 Studebaker GT Hawk
        1970 Jaguar E-Type 2+2
        2011 Jaguar XJL 5.0 SC

Comment

It is clearly an AC-3310 Strato-Vue Left Hand Mount Mirror.

The Mirror that has an adjustable Swivel you can tighten is the Stratoline AC-2918 a different style, and My choice.
          All are shown in the S.I. Catalog and on the Website.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I have had good luck fixing these by working a little blue loctite into the swivel then adjusting the mirror to suit .. It wont grab hard enough that you wont be able to readjust in the future. this works on brand X as well DMc

Comment

I have tapped 6-32 threads into the lip of the mirror itself , And installed a set screw there to hold the mirror in place , This is the little raised area , right near the ball . Also since you have drill into the ball in order to get good threads Drill into the ball 180 degrees away from where you want to place the mirror on the ball . There are no screws inside to tighten on the original mirrors Ed
              Last edited by jts359; Yesterday, 04:23 AM.

Comment

I got pretty aggravated when the same type mirror started flopping around after only a few months. I taped it in place and put a little JB Weld on it. I have to move my head a little more than I like but can still see out to the rear.
                Charlie D.

Comment

David:

Remove the mirror by soaking it overnight in a bowl of gasoline. It'll come right out.

Drive an e ring between one or both flared post end undersides and the retaining plate, depending on how loose it is. You'll need to push down on the end of the plate under the rivet to get the e ring between them.

Glue the mirror back in with silicone sealant or something else that works outside.

Reinstall the mirror assembly, get in the car and ride away.

Dan
                  Last edited by ivorydan; Yesterday, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Actually, there is a bar across the ball behind the mirror that is held in place by two screws. They come loose, and viola'...floppy mirror.
                    JoAnn Fabrics, and Hobby Lobby both have 4" round mirror glass in the craft sections for about $1.50. Break the glass, and tighten the screws, and replace the mirror with the new one and you're good to go. I have done this many many times.
                    P.S. put lock-tite on the screws
                    Bez Auto Alchemy
                    573-318-8948
                    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Actually There must be a couple of different means of manufacture , The ones I have are original and there is no screws just peened material , I think the mirrors with screws maybe repops ? I enclosed a couple of pictures , I used a screw to show the tapped hole location, On the car I use a set screw , Ed

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                        Actually, there is a bar across the ball behind the mirror that is held in place by two screws. They come loose, and viola'...floppy mirror.
                        JoAnn Fabrics, and Hobby Lobby both have 4" round mirror glass in the craft sections for about $1.50. Break the glass, and tighten the screws, and replace the mirror with the new one and you're good to go. I have done this many many times.
                        P.S. put lock-tite on the screws
                        Cool! How does the mirror adhere to the fixture?

Thanks!
                        1964 Studebaker GT Hawk
                        1970 Jaguar E-Type 2+2
                        2011 Jaguar XJL 5.0 SC

Comment

Silicone glue the edge. It doesn't take much.
                          Bez Auto Alchemy
                          573-318-8948
                          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

P.S. put lock-tite on the screws. Silicone glue the edge. It doesn't take much.

Perrrrfect. A great CASO solution to an over-thought problem
                            "Every man I meet on the street is superior to me in some respect, and from that I can learn."
                            R.W. Emerson

Comment

Working...
                            X